Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement

Discuss Electrical system using mains water pipe as earth? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Rob2017

Rob2017 New EF Member

I'm looking to get a water meter installed on my property, as I don't use much water.

My water provider's website says this:
    "When installing meters in properties built before 1996, it may be necessary to replace old metal pipes. Some older electricity systems still rely on the supply pipe providing an 'earth' - this is now prohibited. If you believe your property may have this system, you should contact a qualified electrician to ensure you have an adequate earth."

Is it a difficult or easy task to identify whether this may be the case? My house was built in 1938 and still has a very old electricity meter (the kind with clockface dials, not even a 'digital' read-out). Is this something a non-electrician could identify, or would I need to get someone out?

thanks!

2. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I doubt a diyer could establish what's going on and thus you need to get a local spark to test the Ze and then Zs to draw any conclusions ....

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. davesparks

davesparks Trusted Advisor

Post up a picture of the cutout, meter, fuseboard and anything else fitted in the vicinity, and a picture of your incoming water main and we might be able to advise.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. wirepuller

wirepuller Trusted Advisor

It is extremely rare now to find a water pipe serving as the main earth. I haven't seen it for many years.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    better alter mine at home then. anyone got a spare rod? :D:D

6. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

I think I've seen more houses without earths recently than those relying on the incoming water pipe!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. PEG

PEG Trusted Advisor

Yep,pictures of the installation,would assist,but do not always match results of testing.
    I tested a rod on one occasion,which gave poor results,and had only been in a couple of years.
    The same property had an old,redundant steel pipe entering the property,which had fed an oil boiler,once,from the garden. The Ra of which,beat the rod,by a factor of four.

I also remember several properties in north Manchester,all semis,on one road,which were TN-S,but had sweated solid core singles,to short,roman spear like rods,inserted a few feet away,in the sub-floor space.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sparksburnout

sparksburnout Electrician's Arms

You don't do much housebashing then WP ?:)