Discuss Electrical test connectors. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Every day for the last year I’ve been thinking I need some test probes for my multimeter that have a small magnet in the end to connect to the screws on contactors, MCB’s etc.

I found these on eBay, but the diameter is 7.5mm so a bit big for some connection screw holes.

Has anyone seen any anywhere else?

Thanks.

Test Probes Electrical Tester Fluke Megger Metrel Kewtech Seaward others 4mm | eBay - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F282134794461

I get the logic,and some of the tiny magnets available on bag/clothing fasteners and kids building kits,would do,but if you are connecting one end,as in long-lead testing,i would want something a bit more reliable,on the end i couldn't see :)

I made something like this for a particular job. I soldered a lead to a 2mm wide strip of thin copper foil, hooked it over one end of a 3mm diameter neodymium magnet, then sleeved it with heatshrink leaving the foil-covered end of the magnet projecting by 1mm.

What is wrong with croc clips?
I'd have thought them more secure than a magnet.
Is this an exercise in laziness to the extreme?
If you can't get a crop clip onto a terminal, am I the only person who thinks of tucking another conductor into the terminal and croc clipping that?
I know it's not always possible but it seems that people always offer up problems without solutions they've tried.

croc clips secure my arse. as soon as you look away from most MFT supplied croc clips, they fall off.

Hahah!
Thanks for that croc clip on your arse vision. That'll be with me all day.

If you have a croc clip that persistently falls off as you walk away can you not tape the lead to the wall then attach the clip, thereby negating any 'wiggle' as you move about?
Just a thought.

Wanting to make quick connections for a few seconds while troubleshooting control systems is quite common and the requirements are different from testing for an EIC etc. You might need to hook your meter on to a terminal, go round the other side and press a button, then go back and move to the next terminal, dozens of times in succession. Installing another lead and croc-clipping to it is not always practical, there might be 1000 terminals in the panel and you might not want to mess around with the existing wiring too much. A universal probe that will attach instantly to a terminal screw head without fiddling about is actually a useful thing. The crucial factor is whether it makes reliable enough contact not to interfere with troubleshooting. If it is only feeding a voltmeter or indicator, that's not difficult to achieve.

E2A the Fluke ones look quite skinny: Fluke MP1 Magnet Probe 1 Magnetic Probe Tips - http://www.fluke.com/fluke/uken/accessories/test-leads-probes-and-clips/fluke-mp1-magnet-probe-1.htm?pid=80112

Sorry I fell asleep writing a reply last night!

It’s what Lucian Nunes said though.
On some machinery we have there could be more cable terminations in one control panel than the average house, add on the other four control panels and the smaller control boxes (4 switches on a small box), then the control room which is twice the size of my kitchen and you can imagine that using chocolate blocks or a crocodile clip on a piece of wire inserted into a terminal is going to use up a lot of time! It could be the difference between me getting a lunch break or not :p

Also, another reason I like the idea of magnetic probes is that they are non-invasive. You are not disturbing a broken wire or poor connection.
On a machine break down I need to find a fault, the machine suddenly working again isn’t really acceptable. Because that broken wire or loose connection or sticky relay or thermocouple problem will come back!

I’d not seen the Fluke ones, thanks!
Quite expensive at £67 each, I’ve not found anything else though.
I’ll order some nylon rod and magnets and make my own slim ones I think.

Thinking about my many electronic probings ,I fear a gentle approach only works in a special clean situation.
(Ideal for electricals -Low oxygen environment)
The rest of us prefer enough Oxygen to create thin oxide layers on many metals ... Tin is the new favourite ! ... Just need some conductive diamonds to lightly abrade things!
(Clean things up beforehand with a small round eraser if mess can be tolerated)

Reply to Electrical test connectors. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net