Discuss electrical work for beginner. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have completed all the relevant certificates except 18th edition which I am booked on to do in Sept.I have looked around for work with local businesses,but they all seem to require previous experience, min 1 year etc...
I am based in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire.
any ideas on how I can get on the ladder.
kind regards
Stuart Barnes

Hi Stuart, welcome to the forums.

When you say all relevant certificates... if you've put these in your profile, we can't see it at the moment. If you've not, it may be worth adding that info here. It will enable people to give you better advice.

Good luck Stuart. Have Sky TV not renewed your contract for next season. ;) Pete 999 will give you a job as he’s a Barf man ;)

Hi Stuart,
Welcome to the forum.
You could try and approach the larger local electrical firms with a cv and a covering letter offering your time or some of it for free so as to get a foot in the door. It's not ideal and may not be financially viable for you but it show great willingness to learn and work. Alternatively you could approach the senior lecturer/tutors at your local college and have a chat with them as they will probably have good contacts with local companies, likewise any other students who already have work placements. After that, spread the net wider and consider working further away from home. Best of luck.

Hi all,
I have completed all the relevant certificates except 18th edition which I am booked on to do in Sept.I have looked around for work with local businesses,but they all seem to require previous experience, min 1 year etc...
I am based in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire.
any ideas on how I can get on the ladder.
kind regards
Stuart Barnes
Apply for work as an Electricians mate, and then gain experience that way, qualifications are great, but alone a hinderence as you will be looked upon as a Electrical Trainee, and struggle to get work as a spark.

Get down to the Electrical Wholesalers from around 7am when the sparks are picking up materials for their jobs. Ask for permission from the Branch Manager to hang around for a hour to give your CV to their customers and repeat until you have a job.

Dress smartly as though you are ready for work and turn your mobile phone off while in the branch.

Many will be pleased to see that you have put yourself out, taken the initiative, can get up before 7am and don't feel the need to be on your mobile when presenting yourself.

Get down to the Electrical Wholesalers from around 7am when the sparks are picking up materials for their jobs. Ask for permission from the Branch Manager to hang around for a hour to give your CV to their customers and repeat until you have a job.

Dress smartly as though you are ready for work and turn your mobile phone off while in the branch.

Many will be pleased to see that you have put yourself out, taken the initiative, can get up before 7am and don't feel the need to be on your mobile when presenting yourself.
That’s some of the best advice you’ll get,just be prepared for some winding up laugh with em but stick with it and you’ll be fine!

That’s some of the best advice you’ll get,just be prepared for some winding up laugh with em but stick with it and you’ll be fine!
Yes agree some good advice there Mate, sure someone will be interested in you, if you don't ask you won't get. Go sell yourself.

Reply to electrical work for beginner. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net