Discuss Electrican moving to the UK in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

champo

Hi new member here :grin:

I'm looking to move to the UK for a year (from Australia) with a working visa. I'm a fully licenced Electrician in Australia, and I've been looking for ways to have my qualifications recognised in the UK. I've found a company which will send a copy of the regulations and organise exams for an ECS certificate and the City & Guild 17th edition course.

Before I pay the money, I was hoping to get opinions from you guys on how likely it is that I'll find an Electricians job, considering that ill only be in the UK for a year? And if you think its likely, is there any other licences/certificates I would need?

Thanks

I'm looking to move to the UK for a year (from Australia) with a working visa. I'm a fully licenced Electrician in Australia, and I've been looking for ways to have my qualifications recognised in the UK. I've found a company which will send a copy of the regulations and organise exams for an ECS certificate and the City & Guild 17th edition course.

Before I pay the money, I was hoping to get opinions from you guys on how likely it is that I'll find an Electricians job, considering that ill only be in the UK for a year? And if you think its likely, is there any other licences/certificates I would need?

Thanks
Hi-Fella,

I would think you will find work through an agency to be fair on large sites,we have lots of inexperienced people these days due to short courses about so if your a spark you will probably do fine here, welcome to the site by the way mucker.

Thanks

What sort of fee's is this company you have found charging you for this service??

come if you wish, go into couple of courses, some exams, get local qualifications, find a mate job for couple of months to see how it works in here. then decide if you want to work on your own or get position with a company...

Thanks guys, the company (downunder tradies) charge £495 for it. it's quite expensive if I can't use the quals I get from it.

I'm a bit worried about the different wiring practices as well, but this site seems to be the best place to learn!

It really ****s me off when an australian sparky can walk into a job in the UK with just doing 17th edition but a uk sparky has to get his trade recognised at the cost of $1000. Taking upwards of 3 months and then having to do another site diary and cert 3 at a college to be able to get a.license which can take up to a year .. honestly **** poor from the aus government on this one. Once your trade is recognised and show the correct quals you should be able to apply for a license.. none of this back to college bull****. Not aimed at you champo by the way buddy. P.s get your thermals at the ready and 2 pairs of socks :)

...I'm not helping...till you apologise for Rolf Harris...

Welcome dude,just "normalising" you to UK site banter...:icon12:

It really ****s me off when an australian sparky can walk into a job in the UK with just doing 17th edition but a uk sparky has to get his trade recognised at the cost of $1000. Taking upwards of 3 months and then having to do another site diary and cert 3 at a college to be able to get a.license which can take up to a year .. honestly **** poor from the aus government on this one. Once your trade is recognised and show the correct quals you should be able to apply for a license.. none of this back to college bull****. Not aimed at you champo by the way buddy. P.s get your thermals at the ready and 2 pairs of socks :)

Hat's off to them i say, at least they are doing their damnedest in protecting their electrical industry, which is more than can be said for the UK's electrical industry. How can we at the present ask for a qualified electrician from Oz jump through the hoops when we allow the 17 day/5 week chancers in to the industry. ....Unfortunately you reap what you sow!!

It's up to you, and all the other electricians to get something done about it, sooner rather than later!! No-one else in the western world has anything like the pure stupidity of what's going on in the UK, their electricians are still highly respected which is in turn reflected in pay rates!!

Its all trades, we may as well pay for a dodgy foreign passport to be able to earn a living, because the British are bottom of the pile. It will get to point where, if you do not work for peanuts (no matter how qualified) you will be replaced, so the people at the top can thieve as much as they like for doing very little.

Hat's off to them i say, at least they are doing their damnedest in protecting their electrical industry, which is more than can be said for the UK's electrical industry. How can we at the present ask for a qualified electrician from Oz jump through the hoops when we allow the 17 day/5 week chancers in to the industry. ....Unfortunately you reap what you sow!!

It's up to you, and all the other electricians to get something done about it, sooner rather than later!! No-one else in the western world has anything like the pure stupidity of what's going on in the UK, their electricians are still highly respected which is in turn reflected in pay rates!!

I think you hit the nail on the head with the Electrical Trainee comment. Didnt look at it like that but your right

Reply to Electrican moving to the UK in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net