Discuss Electrician has not supplied Certificate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have had some work done in our home but is is taking a long time getting the relevant certificates from the electrician.

I eventually received three Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificates covering much of the work. There is however still a significant one missing and I am at a loss to know how to get the certificate for the work.

The utility room involved more than just electrical work and was undertaken by a builder who subcontracted the electrical work to an electrician. The main work included almost completely rewiring a utility room but there was other electrical work done in my home as well. The missing certificate is for the lighting circuit where 8 GU10 LED down-lighters replaced the 2 pendant lights and the switching was changed to two way. This part of the work was completed around the end of 2016 but further electrical work was done in other parts of the house earlier this year (March).

I have no reason to think the work was not done according the the standards. Apparently the electrician mislaid the measurements he took and had to revisit to take them again.

Am I right to be concerned that he not yet provided the final certificate apart from him asking me to confirm which circuit was being used (on 19 July), the relevant work was completed December 2016?

What should I do if he fails to provide the certificate?

Should I inform his trade body (Elecsa)?

You need to take it up with him first, as he has already provided some there maybe a genuine error on his part and he has overlooked getting it to you.

The three certificates I have are copies passed to me from the builder. These took some chasing to obtain and there is one missing. All the work was completed in March and some of it three months earlier.

Both the builder and myself have been asking for the certificate. I responded the the electricians request for information he should already have had (what circuit is it on). I am aware that it is a Minor Works Certificate that I need.

As he has failed to provide this certificate for over 6 months (I only became aware that I should have had one recently) I have been wondering what I could threaten him with to get the certificate, and what the impact on me or my property will be if he fails to provide one.

Back to the op, what do you mean by "final" certificate?

One minor works per modified circuit
One electrical installation certificate per new circuit

That's it in summary

And...

Part P if not electrics were not covered by the building regs payment you made.....

Impact? If you sell the property certs will be required for all work undertaken i.e. gas, electrics and building work. The absence of appropriate certs will certainly cause a hiccup in the sale process. As far as I know you must issue certs within thirty days of the work being completed. What can you do? Get the Builder to take this forward or charge him for Third Party Certification, which only Stroma CPS operatives such as myself can do.

Get the Builder to take this forward or charge him for Third Party Certification, which only Stroma CPS operatives such as myself can do.
Correct me if I'm wrong but does Third Party Verification not have to be agreed before the job starts as the design has to be agreed and inspection has to take place during erection when first fixing before cables are concealed? I don't believe that it can be done as an afterthought.

Get the Builder to take this forward or charge him for Third Party Certification, which only Stroma CPS operatives such as myself can do.
Correct me if I'm wrong but does Third Party Verification not have to be agreed before the job starts as the design has to be agreed and inspection has to take place during erection when first fixing before cables are concealed? I don't believe that it can be done as an afterthought.

Surely one EIC for any and all work carried out on the installation rather than one for each circuit.

Disagree, my point is that a new circuit should be covered by an EIC, and yes it I did a job with 1 or more new circuits and other circuit mods I would issue an EIC for the lot..

Reply to Electrician has not supplied Certificate in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net