• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Electrician needed for small commercial project (Manchester) in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am looking for an electrician to do works on a small unit (700sqft) that I intend on turning in to a small restaurant.

I am at a crossroads currently regarding the power supply and I am looking to either bring in a new 3 Phase supply (£3900) or run a convertor until the building's main supply has been upgraded which will give us the option of upgrading our supply from that (£2500).

My main problem currently is I need to install a duct underneath the shop fascia for Electricity North West to feed the power supply through. It requires excavation approx 500mm deep and then outwards underneath the outside wall. There is a basement underneath used by another business and we are on a suspended timber floor above them. Will going that deep have an impact? This is a very large building in Manchester City Centre.

Our kitchen will consist of:

Extraction system that exhausts above the entrance door.
4 hob electric range/oven combi
2 large stockpot electric hobs
Twin tank electric freestanding fryer
Refrigeration
Lighting throughout
Hand dryer
Amplifier and speakers
Plug sockets to run blenders, computer, till system.

Can you please tell me approximately how large of a supply I would need for this equipment?

As mentioned above this work is to be carried out in Manchester starting in approximately 1 month. I am looking for somebody reliable to advise me and carry out any works internally. Installing the duct for a new supply is priority for me right now.

Regards
Danny

i would suggest consulting a firm of civil engineers for the excavation and installing the duct. get it wrong and you could cause damage to the building running into ££££££££s.

Hi there,

I am looking for an electrician to do works on a small unit (700sqft) that I intend on turning in to a small restaurant.

I am at a crossroads currently regarding the power supply and I am looking to either bring in a new 3 Phase supply (£3900) or run a convertor until the building's main supply has been upgraded which will give us the option of upgrading our supply from that (£2500).

My main problem currently is I need to install a duct underneath the shop fascia for Electricity North West to feed the power supply through. It requires excavation approx 500mm deep and then outwards underneath the outside wall. There is a basement underneath used by another business and we are on a suspended timber floor above them. Will going that deep have an impact? This is a very large building in Manchester City Centre.

Our kitchen will consist of:

Extraction system that exhausts above the entrance door.
4 hob electric range/oven combi
2 large stockpot electric hobs
Twin tank electric freestanding fryer
Refrigeration
Lighting throughout
Hand dryer
Amplifier and speakers
Plug sockets to run blenders, computer, till system.

Can you please tell me approximately how large of a supply I would need for this equipment?

As mentioned above this work is to be carried out in Manchester starting in approximately 1 month. I am looking for somebody reliable to advise me and carry out any works internally. Installing the duct for a new supply is priority for me right now.

Regards
Danny
Not a job to advise on Danny, something of that sze an complexity will require a lot of planning and project management, (something I expect that will fall to you, Project Management I mean), as for what size supply you will need, a lot more information than you have provided so far will be required, loading, instalation methods etc.

as a guide, a customer of mine is a pub/restaurant. probably on a lower power consumption as you appear to need.was struggling on a 160A single phase supply. (DNO fuse blowing).the ideal would be a 3 phase supply, but as the nearest 3 phase sub station was 5 miles away, he had a 2nd single phase supply installed solely for his kitchen.. my point is, go for a 3 phase supply straight away. as for the groundworks, my previous post is my advice.

You would need someone to design the electrical installation for you and calculate maximum demand etc.

Without knowing the ratings of the equipment, number of luminaires etc then how long is a piece of string.

Hi Danny
I would imagine that a realistic cost benefit analysis on spending this amount, (probably a lot more than your estimate) on on a 700 sq ft restaurant (how many covers ?) Would conclude no.

Excavations of city centre streets are fraught with difficulty, no idea what you may find out there. Your entry into the building will be in someone else's property, have they agreed?

I don't know how far you are in already with the leases etc. But my advice would be find another premises. There are plenty out there. Most new restaurants don't make it past the second year.

Good luck.

Hi Danny
I would imagine that a realistic cost benefit analysis on spending this amount, (probably a lot more than your estimate) on on a 700 sq ft restaurant (how many covers ?) Would conclude no.

Excavations of city centre streets are fraught with difficulty, no idea what you may find out there. Your entry into the building will be in someone else's property, have they agreed?

I don't know how far you are in already with the leases etc. But my advice would be find another premises. There are plenty out there. Most new restaurants don't make it past the second year.

Good luck.

Hi,

I think I may have worded my initial post quite badly. The excavation of the street is done by another company who have quoted me within my budget. It is a newly laid street and they have a supply right outside our fascia.

The basement belongs to the same landlord but a different business to ours occupies it so we can get permission if the entry will pass through their unit. However I am not 100 percent sure the duct needs to be deep enough to reach below the basement ceiling.

The installation of the duct (125mm diameter) is internally to boundary 50cm down underneath a supported timber floor (I have now contacted a number of civil engineers who are going to have a look at it).

In regards to the unit it is too good of an opportunity to pass. The footfall is outstanding and having done the maths it does make financial sense to continue.

Has it been okayed to vent the extraction above the entrance door as that will be deemed an escape route.

Extraction and ventilation suspended from a ceiling doesn't affect an escape route at all however to answer your question; everything has passed through planning and building control already.

I think that would very much depend on where and how it was suspended :)

Hi,

I think I may have worded my initial post quite badly. The excavation of the street is done by another company who have quoted me within my budget. It is a newly laid street and they have a supply right outside our fascia.

The basement belongs to the same landlord but a different business to ours occupies it so we can get permission if the entry will pass through their unit. However I am not 100 percent sure the duct needs to be deep enough to reach below the basement ceiling.

The installation of the duct (125mm diameter) is internally to boundary 50cm down underneath a supported timber floor (I have now contacted a number of civil engineers who are going to have a look at it).

In regards to the unit it is too good of an opportunity to pass. The footfall is outstanding and having done the maths it does make financial sense to continue.
Hi Danny, We are based near Bury and may be able to assist. We will need the "tech spec" of all the appliances you intend using in the kitchen. My partner used to install commercial kitchens, and we have advised/ worked on Bem Brasil on King St West, and Newton St ( old Land'o'cakes pub). Get in touch at info@scbsystems if you haven't got sorted. Cheers Steve Bramah

Reply to Electrician needed for small commercial project (Manchester) in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net