Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then follow this link https://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/forums/apply-to-gain-access-to-trainee-only-forum.60/ The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Electrician needing guidance on emigrating to oz in the New Member Introductions area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. shaun121

shaun121 EF Member

Hi I'm 28 and currently a self-employed electrician wanting to permanently move to australia with my wife and kids.how to go about been a qualified electrician in oz any info would be much appreciated.
    My qualifications are:
    *C&G 2330 level 2 and 3
    *17th edition iee wiring regs
    *C&G 2399-14 level 3 photovoltaic systems.
    *Btec level 3 in elec/electronic eng

Thanks in advance

2. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Shaun watch out for them Munchkins, sorry, reckon your best bet would be to contact the Australian Embassy for info

3. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

And do some research into to costs of living as I understand it's very expensive out there now...

4. Rpa07

Rpa07 3000 posts - only 50554 behind Telectrix! Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Ebenezer electrical
    @KennyKen@KennyKen will be along in a minute to tell you how big the spiders are and how rubbish Britain is! He'll set you straight.

5. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

He's probably too busy, chucking another shrimp on the Barbie or picking up a slab ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. KennyKen

KennyKen Electrician's Arms

Lol...

Shaun I've posted on another thread pretty much detailing what's required. Can't remember the name of it but I'm sure you will find it. It's an exhausting process plus what Murdoch said is very true. More expensive here then UK. The 2008 recession is finally catching up with them now the mining boom is over but don't let that deter you.

7. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

My suggestion is that you search for an Australian electricians' forum (like this one) and ask there. At least you'll get the actual facts there, rather than what people over here suppose is the situation.

Don't worry, I've heard that all Australians are friendly folk who welcome incomers with open arms.

8. KennyKen

I live in Aus bud. So I'm clear on my facts :)

I wouldn't say Australians open their arms and friendly. I would say they tolerate 'POMS' as there is some anti English sentimate here. I came here with the same happy go lucky Australian type sterotype that I had of them and quickly realised that some off them are just not that keen. But hey ho I'm not generalising the 26 million Aussies out there but giving the OP a correct analogy rather then false facts from person's living in UK

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  9. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities Electrician's Arms

Sorry Ken, I missed your 20.:oops:
    The all embracing Aussie comment was a little joke....

PS, hows the Aussie rugby team doing now? DId you let them back in the country?

10. KennyKen

Yeah should of picked up on the joke. When I read it I thought "oh no. It's like reading one of them catalogs that promotes the place".

The union side is shocking. But like most aussies sports when there winning everyone here's about it but when they lose or on a shocking run they cease to exist or you'll just get that's not the preferred code here anyway.

11. KennyKen

Apologies for the poor grammar. Hung over

12. shaun121

shaun121 EF Member

13. EMMEC

EMMEC Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    EMM Electrical Contractors LTD
    Australian don't respect any UK electrical qualification, You will have to start from begining

14. KennyKen

Nope that's not correct. Australia does recognise City and Guilds training... but implements a system where a years on the job training is required to obtain the relevant licences.

15. EMMEC

EMMEC Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    EMM Electrical Contractors LTD
    KennyKen I'm based only at my brother in law stories. he went to Australia ,hmm in 99 , and he has to start a new training because his british qualifications only allowed him to work as a improver