Discuss Electrician walked off the job half way, what now? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The whole home automation scene is great news for sparkies, server room for piped AV all over the house, lighting all controlled by computer (could be where this job went pear shaped) - its a whole new world. Cannot wait to sell my house and build one cos, although it wont be big , it will have the state of the art (if i can afford it) home auto stuff.
Just love the idea of turning the heating and lights on from my phone and checking on it using CCTV over IP....
Just put in a "cheapish" CCTV piped over broadband, once upon a time these used to be mega bucks, but now less than 10 tanks of diesel.

I have been on a job were each wall light cost more than a brand new sports car and the client got bored of them within 12 months and replaced them with even more expensive ones. At the end of the day it’s whatever rocks your boat. It would be nice to see the spec for this place and pictures of how it’s all taking shape. A grand design of an electrical installation sort of thread. No pressure belmontbuild! :biggrin:

Was asked to pop a light fitting up the other day, well it must have weighed 30KG. Had to put unistrut in the loft to take the weight and it then sat on the rafters.
Nearly bust a blood vessel putting it up - it must have cost a bomb... mind you it was well made.

Just put in a "cheapish" CCTV piped over broadband, once upon a time these used to be mega bucks, but now less than 10 tanks of diesel.

I've just sold the idea to a local livery yard: CCTV with audio per stable, so that the girls' who's horses they are can watch them all day at school on their iphones, and the yards owners get to charge them a monthly fee for doing so as an income stream. Reckon they'll be in profit per stable after about 8 weeks!

The whole home automation scene is great news for sparkies, server room for piped AV all over the house, lighting all controlled by computer (could be where this job went pear shaped) - its a whole new world. Cannot wait to sell my house and build one cos, although it wont be big , it will have the state of the art (if i can afford it) home auto stuff.
Just love the idea of turning the heating and lights on from my phone and checking on it using CCTV over IP....

And by that time it wil all be RF, Blue Ray, or Wi Fi :wink5: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page. ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

Yeah...even more technology, monitoring everyone's every move (refer to recent thread about tracking).
Not convinced by this remote stuff, you'll get so paranoid about your property you'll spend all your time watching your mobile device.

I've just sold the idea to a local livery yard: CCTV with audio per stable, so that the girls' who's horses they are can watch them all day at school on their iphones, and the yards owners get to charge them a monthly fee for doing so as an income stream. Reckon they'll be in profit per stable after about 8 weeks!

Tried to sell this concept to Mrs P&S using a cattery ( we like cats) each cat would have webcam and audio so owners could talk to their cats whilst on hols. Thought it was a brilliant idea but Mrs poo pood it.

150 down lights and 95 sockets? First question how big is this "flat" and £7350 first fix and then £5000 more at the second fix is a massive amount of money, where do you live? Buckingham palace?

Yeah...even more technology, monitoring everyone's every move (refer to recent thread about tracking).
Not convinced by this remote stuff, you'll get so paranoid about your property you'll spend all your time watching your mobile device.

I agree. I don't get the mobile phone/CCTV thing. Unless you sit watching your phone all day, you aren't going to see anyone breaking in. Daz

You might catch a glimpse of the postman hanging out the back of your missus instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would have to be a very small postman to be 'hanging out the back' of my missus. :wink5:

Can belmontbuild please clarify if the price was based on 65 or 95 sockets. And what sort of spot lights are they?

Could be the electrician under priced the job, realised his mistake and took the opportunity to walk away without losing any money.
I was thinking the same looks like he has covered his costs n left the loss makign bit ( or difficult) bit

I agree. I don't get the mobile phone/CCTV thing. Unless you sit watching your phone all day, you aren't going to see anyone breaking in. Daz
a big house we did about 15yrs ago when this stuff was just starting to break into domestic His alarm system linked to his phone he then dialed into his CCTV He could let folk in the gate alter the heating its basicaly BMS for the house

I was thinking the same looks like he has covered his costs n left the loss makign bit ( or difficult) bit

Unfortunately our image has again been tarnished. The electrician that walked away could have handled the situation in a more professional manner. Let’s hope belmontbuild faith will be restored by his new electrical contractor.
Failing that he’s got Widdler as a backup plan!

Just goes to show that all this advertising about using a registered contractor is a load of garbage,you can still be let down.there are loads of good sparks who arent registered but the adverts make them all seem cowboys,at last the truth will out you pays yer money and takes yer choice!

Exactly how all all these arranged. The Rako connections are going to be fun (read time consuming), as would all the cabling

Well that would not have been his Job but part of Rako's job as they are installing the Rako kit them self.

I think someone has to much money! I have read a few things just when I was scanning this thread.

The story sounds unreal to me, who on earth would have a 6000 squ ft flat in sheffield or any city.

How about some pictures please of the spec

I don't buy it sorry

First I would like to make it clear, I am not rich at all (but I would like to be one day :)). I just have a dream to own a big place, this project has taken me 2 and half years and has taken up every penny I can get my hands on.

Photos as requested:

Boiler room
DSC_0135.jpg

Kitchen
P1010496.jpg

Floor Plan
ph.jpg

I had a good look around the site today and he has only put in around 50 to 55 boxes, no consumer unite, the cables are all free and have not been tacked to the walls, the 30 amp supplies have not been put in so really all that has been done is 6 ring mains run around the flat, a few boxes put into the walls and cables run to them nothing more.

It seems that I have been had.

Reply to Electrician walked off the job half way, what now? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net