Discuss Electrician walked off the job half way, what now? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

certainly sounds like you've not had £3000 worth of work done there. i,d say more like £1000 tops. maybe time to involve your solicitor.

OK I’m being hash, but more fool you for not having someone that knows what they are doing manage this.

I think that is overly harsh, at the end of the day on the face of it (if all this is true, and no reason why not) he has been let down by the electrician who sounds like he has been very unprofessional and left the OP high and dry. I would advise the OP to get the electrician back to finish whatever the agreement was for the monies paid. If he has any sense of professionalism then he should come back.

It’s true, it appears belmontbuild did not get value for money. However the mystery deepens! When one works away from home, one tends to get stuck in and work longer hours. And bearing in mind there were two of them on the job. I have to ask the question “what were they doing for four days?” As timo1 has said, get the electrician back to finish whatever the original agreement was. If he refuses, name and shame him!

I notice in the first pic that there is a roll of bog paper....
Is that there for for a purpose or for dramatic affect?
or
somebody has been pigging out on too many Hobnobs.

Did you say that you had drawn up a contract. If so, my preferred option would be to legally twist this guys arm and get him back on site to finish what he's started..

OK I’m being hash, but more fool you for not having someone that knows what they are doing manage this.

Maybe but cash is tight at the moment and as its been a long project its hard to get someone to manage it for me full time.

I think that is overly harsh, at the end of the day on the face of it (if all this is true, and no reason why not) he has been let down by the electrician who sounds like he has been very unprofessional and left the OP high and dry. I would advise the OP to get the electrician back to finish whatever the agreement was for the monies paid. If he has any sense of professionalism then he should come back.

It’s true, it appears belmontbuild did not get value for money. However the mystery deepens! When one works away from home, one tends to get stuck in and work longer hours. And bearing in mind there were two of them on the job. I have to ask the question “what were they doing for four days?” As timo1 has said, get the electrician back to finish whatever the original agreement was. If he refuses, name and shame him!

I notice in the first pic that there is a roll of bog paper....
Is that there for for a purpose or for dramatic affect?
or
somebody has been pigging out on too many Hobnobs.

Did you say that you had drawn up a contract. If so, my preferred option would be to legally twist this guys arm and get him back on site to finish what he's started..

The problem is that if I twist his arm into coming back he will just do a crap job and this is going to be my long term home with my wife so I want it done properly.

They arrived monday mooring, they spent a couple of hours getting ready and doing a walk around to see where all the sockets are going to go and stuff, worked monday afternoon, all day tuesday, wednesday. They then worked thursday morning and decided to go back home around lunch time and take friday off so all in all they have done around 3 to 3.5 days work.

Anyway live and learn, Just FYI this was not the cheapest quote. Actually he was more then the others but I went with him as he sounded like he knew what he was doing and I had confidence in him.

The IMO, I would find out to which authorizing body he is affiliated and send them a stiff message of complaint and see if they can come up with a reasonable excuse as to why he's thrown a wobbly and jacked it in.
It sounds as though he hasn't done himself any favours by leaving you in the lurch.

How much cable did he pull in? How many boxes? and How much gear did he leave on site after he left. All this will have to be considered if you're plotting legal revenge, I would be.

The IMO, I would find out to which authorizing body he is affiliated and send them a stiff message of complaint and see if they can come up with a reasonable excuse as to why he's thrown a wobbly and jacked it in.
It sounds as though he hasn't done himself any favours by leaving you in the lurch.

That has been done.

How much cable did he pull in? How many boxes? and How much gear did he leave on site after he left. All this will have to be considered if you're plotting legal revenge, I would be.

I dont know I will look tomorrow. He did not leave any gear on site. From a legal point of view I have suffered quite a lot in consequential losses. I had to cancel the UFH install that was due to start next week I also have 3 builders onsite without much work to do as I can not do much until the floors are back down again. I did plan to be in for christmas but thats not looking hopeful anymore.

As Tel and Akbar have said, you need to get your lawyer involved. This guy has had your pants down by the sound of this mate.

I would also phone the company he's registered with and tell them you have sent a letter of complaint. Wouldn't supprise me if he's not actually reigistered with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Has he actually sunk the back boxes or just screwed to the wall?

I would also phone the company he's registered with and tell them you have sent a letter of complaint. Wouldn't supprise me if he's not actually reigistered with them.

- - - Updated - - -

Has he actually sunk the back boxes or just screwed to the wall?

Yes he is registered with them.

The back boxes are 35mm boxes screwed to the wall (not sunken), we plan to dot and dab 12.5mm Gyproc Soundbloc Board.

Think I would of sunk them in 10mm or so :) the dry liners are going to be happy.... The light switch in the kitchen pic looks a little close to the door opening are you having linings and architraves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without trying to sound sarcastic or unhelpful
Why are you spending so much time on a lost cause
The original guy has gone,he is not coming back whether he is welcome or no

Your present situation would be better served by trying to engage a spark who will take on this work,hopefully at price agreeable to both of you
To say "no spark will sign off the work thats already been installed" is not true,the existing should be easily assessed by someone prepred to do this job
Evidence of whats already been paid and installed can be collected for any future battle with the original,but for now,I would be more interested in getting some prices and getting on with the project

Think I would of sunk them in 10mm or so :) the dry liners are going to be happy.... The light switch in the kitchen pic looks a little close to the door opening are you having linings and architraves.

Thanks, that box is not there anymore as the photo was taken a few months ago.

Your present situation would be better served by trying to engage a spark who will take on this work,hopefully at price agreeable to both of you
To say "no spark will sign off the work thats already been installed" is not true,the existing should be easily assessed by someone prepred to do this job
Evidence of whats already been paid and installed can be collected for any future battle with the original,but for now,I would be more interested in getting some prices and getting on with the project

This is what I have done, We have someone new starting on monday on a day rate. He has good references and seems to be a honest guy.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, that box is not there anymore as the photo was taken a few months ago.

This is what I have done, We have someone new starting on monday on a day rate. He has good references and seems to be a honest guy.

Des, he’s not spending too much time on a lost cause. He’s just trying to figure out why this has happened. And so am I to be honest. What’s baffling is:
1: If the original electrical contractor was a crook, then why did he not do a vanishing act on the Tuesday with three grand in cash in his back pocket.
2: If there was a problem with the price for the extras. Why did he make no attempt to sort it out with the client.
3: If his intention was to carry out the works, then why did he not get stuck in and get something done. Cause he hasn’t done £3000 of work.
4: He might have got back home on Thursday afternoon and found more profitable work back home but I doubt it. Just look at the figures. £15000 for some 1[SUP]st[/SUP] fix materials and some 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] fix labour. Client providing the fixtures and fittings. And it’s not even a horrible rewire. No carpets to lift. No furniture to move about. No chasing in. And the really clever bit is being done by Rako.
My conclusion is. The size of the built has caused the electrical contractor to have some sort of mental breakdown. And I can see why. You can fit my house into bedroom 2. Belmontbuild’s greatest task will be how to furnish the place without making it look like a cathedral.

Last edited:
I dont think thats a good idea

Lol, I think belmontbuild, that your OP opens the flood gates for a few hundred inspector Clouseaus with their magnifying glasses wanting to look into the minutia of the case in question.

Perhaps the guy couldn't bear to see another parking ticket attached to his windscreen or the room maid at the hotel was going to spill the beans to his wife if he tried it on with her again and so went into mental meltdown and legged it .... Who knows?

If you have reported him to his company with a follow up of possible court proceedings then that should be sufficient and so its time to move on.

Reply to Electrician walked off the job half way, what now? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock