Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

3. Forum for Trainees.

If you are a trainee and haven’t already applied to join our trainee forum then click HERE The trainee forum is a closed area of the forum where the Forum Mentors will freely share their vast experience within the industry. 

Dismiss Notice

Discuss Electrics and Touring Caravan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Pete E

Pete E DIY

We bought a decent condition touring caravan last year that had been recently serviced by a dealer and with a report basically saying among other things the electric were testing ok and safe.

We used the caravan quite a bit last year and the quality of the various pitches would best be described as "variable" to say the least and if you pull up in a shoddy looking park, it doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence the site electrics are going to be up to scratch...

So just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of, or anything I should check or perhaps even test, when using the electrics provided on a touring pitch?

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Respected Member

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    check polarity in the caravan at a socket. test your caravan RCD regularly. don't get in front of Clarkson on a single carriageway.

• Funny Funny x 5
  3. westward10

westward10 In echoed steps I walk across an empty dream. Staff Member Moderator

Caravan parks are subject to annual tests and this is also a stipulation of the caravan and camping club if they are registered. Ask to see verification of this.

4. Pete E

Pete E DIY

Thanks mate...

Somebody on one of the sites last year was using a rubber mat to step down on to and while we were chatting, suggested it was a worth while additional safety feature...

Not too sure what to make of the idea, especially in wet weather, although I can't see it doing any harm either...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. westward10

Not sure that is necessary and if it is there are serious problems afoot.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Nice pun!

• Like Like x 2
  7. westward10

Didn't spot that:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. shaun1

shaun1 Regular EF Member

To properly test the supply would require expensive test equipment and knowledge of what to do with it, but one of these: www.amazon.co.uk/SOCKET-TESTER-EARTH-MARTINDALE-ELECTRIC/dp/B01186J5AA would give you a reasonable indication that everything is in order. Just plug it in to a socket in the caravan.

Also look out for things like broken or missing covers, exposed cables etc when plugging in, and especially if you have to reset any breakers. If you want to be extra diligent, check these breakers are rated to 16A or less.

I'm not sure what regulations/guidelines are in place for on going inspection of the caravan, but I would thing it would be worth doing regularly due to the vibration on the connections. Also keep good care of the 16A supply cable, and look out for any damage to this. It should also be tested regularly.

9. shaun1

shaun1 Regular EF Member

Thinking about it, if you did get one of those socket testers, you may well get an earth loop reading of 10-100 Ohms (the top row of leds)

Whilst this is on the higher side, it could well be acceptable on a caravan site due to the way the farthing system is installed. A reading any higher than that though would indicate a problem. As would no reading at all.

10. KEV 1 N

KEV 1 N Regular EF Member

Overloading is also another issue. A lot of site hookups are limited to 10amps.....so the rapid boil kettle is a no no!

• Like Like x 1
  11. TonyMitchell

TonyMitchell Electrician's Arms

Don't forget to ensure your hookup cable is to H05RN-F (BS EN 50525-2-21) or equivalent and keep a print out of reg.721.55.2.6 in your back pocket for when the site manager unplugs you "because the only safe cable to use outside is blue arctic".

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. ruston

ruston Forum Mentor

Only one easy way out - so make sure the smoke alarm(s) work.
    If you have a gas fire make sure your vents aren't blocked with stored bedding ect. Basic safety stuff.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Pete E

Pete E DIY

Thanks Sean, I've not seen that particular tester before.. Presumably if I make up a round three pin plug to normal 13amp socket adaptor/test cable, in the event of any problems in the caravan, I could then test direct on the site outlet to get an indication where the issue was...

14. Richard Burns

Richard Burns Respected Member

Business Name:
    Richard Burns
    You could just buy the adaptor unless you have the parts lying around.
    16A to 13A Adapter.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. dmxtothemax

dmxtothemax Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    David Haddock Electronic Repairs
    A plug in style tester is about the best thing an amateur can do !
    Proper testing requires an electrician with the correct test equipment. Such as a megger type meter. (IR test).