Discuss Electrics and Touring Caravan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Pete E

-
DIY
Reaction score
We bought a decent condition touring caravan last year that had been recently serviced by a dealer and with a report basically saying among other things the electric were testing ok and safe.

We used the caravan quite a bit last year and the quality of the various pitches would best be described as "variable" to say the least and if you pull up in a shoddy looking park, it doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence the site electrics are going to be up to scratch...

So just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of, or anything I should check or perhaps even test, when using the electrics provided on a touring pitch?

Caravan parks are subject to annual tests and this is also a stipulation of the caravan and camping club if they are registered. Ask to see verification of this.

Thanks mate...

Somebody on one of the sites last year was using a rubber mat to step down on to and while we were chatting, suggested it was a worth while additional safety feature...

Not too sure what to make of the idea, especially in wet weather, although I can't see it doing any harm either...

To properly test the supply would require expensive test equipment and knowledge of what to do with it, but one of these: www.amazon.co.uk/SOCKET-TESTER-EARTH-MARTINDALE-ELECTRIC/dp/B01186J5AA would give you a reasonable indication that everything is in order. Just plug it in to a socket in the caravan.

Also look out for things like broken or missing covers, exposed cables etc when plugging in, and especially if you have to reset any breakers. If you want to be extra diligent, check these breakers are rated to 16A or less.

I'm not sure what regulations/guidelines are in place for on going inspection of the caravan, but I would thing it would be worth doing regularly due to the vibration on the connections. Also keep good care of the 16A supply cable, and look out for any damage to this. It should also be tested regularly.

Thinking about it, if you did get one of those socket testers, you may well get an earth loop reading of 10-100 Ohms (the top row of leds)

Whilst this is on the higher side, it could well be acceptable on a caravan site due to the way the farthing system is installed. A reading any higher than that though would indicate a problem. As would no reading at all.

Overloading is also another issue. A lot of site hookups are limited to 10amps.....so the rapid boil kettle is a no no!

Don't forget to ensure your hookup cable is to H05RN-F (BS EN 50525-2-21) or equivalent and keep a print out of reg.721.55.2.6 in your back pocket for when the site manager unplugs you "because the only safe cable to use outside is blue arctic".

Only one easy way out - so make sure the smoke alarm(s) work.
If you have a gas fire make sure your vents aren't blocked with stored bedding ect. Basic safety stuff.

To properly test the supply would require expensive test equipment and knowledge of what to do with it, but one of these: www.amazon.co.uk/SOCKET-TESTER-EARTH-MARTINDALE-ELECTRIC/dp/B01186J5AA would give you a reasonable indication that everything is in order. Just plug it in to a socket in the caravan.

Also look out for things like broken or missing covers, exposed cables etc when plugging in, and especially if you have to reset any breakers. If you want to be extra diligent, check these breakers are rated to 16A or less.

I'm not sure what regulations/guidelines are in place for on going inspection of the caravan, but I would thing it would be worth doing regularly due to the vibration on the connections. Also keep good care of the 16A supply cable, and look out for any damage to this. It should also be tested regularly.

Thanks Sean, I've not seen that particular tester before.. Presumably if I make up a round three pin plug to normal 13amp socket adaptor/test cable, in the event of any problems in the caravan, I could then test direct on the site outlet to get an indication where the issue was...

Thanks Sean, I've not seen that particular tester before.. Presumably if I make up a round three pin plug to normal 13amp socket adaptor/test cable, in the event of any problems in the caravan, I could then test direct on the site outlet to get an indication where the issue was...
You could just buy the adaptor unless you have the parts lying around.
Electrics and Touring Caravan 16A to 13A Adapter - EletriciansForums.net

A plug in style tester is about the best thing an amateur can do !
Proper testing requires an electrician with the correct test equipment. Such as a megger type meter. (IR test).

A plug in style tester is about the best thing an amateur can do !
Proper testing requires an electrician with the correct test equipment. Such as a megger type meter. (IR test).

That would come next and it would depend where the issue was thought to be as to who's responsibility it would be to do that...

The electrical check carried out during the Caravan service isn’t the most detailed. Most of it would of been a visual check along with checking the all the socket polarities are correct and that they switch correctly. The rcd trip times are tested at should be noted on the service sheets. The appliances will of been tested to make sure that the elements are pulling the correct current, other than that as said above the rest really is just visual checks. As mentioned in other comments purchase a Martindale tester of some description and use that for piece of mind. You really shouldn’t need anything else.

Are you talking about British caravan sites here? There is a section in the regs as its a special location.

From working on a site myself for the last 10 years I know a lot of damage can happen to the hook up points between yearly tests. We had 16A breakers, but the tourers we got would stretch that with their fast boil kettles, electric heaters in the awnings and F knows what else. I would replace at least 10 breakers every year.

From what I recall without fishing out The Book.. Each hook up socket needs to be individually protected by its own 16A MCB (not less than 16A), Also protected by RCD (ours were in pairs, but it might be individually now?)
You shouldn't have to cross another pitch to reach your hook up point.

If you come across hook up points that are cracked, burned or otherwise damaged, you can ask for another pitch.
The governing body is the British Holiday & Home Parks Association (BHHPA) or the National Caravan Council (NCC)
Also all UK parks need an operating license from local council.

Thanks for that and it is the UK I am talking about ....I have only seen one obviously damaged hook up and that looked like it had been recently hit by a reversing vehicle / caravan...

Reply to Electrics and Touring Caravan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock