Discuss electrics in a cannabis house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Been helping a fellow spark out on a job today in Somerset. The house was previously used to grow cannabis after being let to some dodgy fake tenants who then ripped it to bits and installed all the growing kit.
The house was raided and its taken the landlord until now to start repairs as his insurance wouldnt cover the damage as he quote 'did not carry out due diligence in his decision to let the house' so has had to fidn money from elsewhere.
We spent the day ripping out all the electrics and off to the scrap yard it went.
The people in question had by passed the meter straight into a CU which had 8 40amp breakers for all the kit for growing.
The police have been ages ago and taken all the stuff away and western power have disconnected the supply.
Before taking out the stuff i decided to do a IR test on some of the cables and surprisingly they held up quite well for the likely loads they had previously. got reading in excess of 500Mohms. was expecting it to be at deaths door due to the loadings from heaters and lights. they had only used 4mm throughout.
on the edges of some of the cables in the CU though there were faint black scorch marks, so not sure how much longer it would have lasted without going up... I guess the vietnamese gangs dont follow part p and are not scam members...
there must be 100s of these houses around the UK... its only a matter of time before one catches fire and causes chaos.
The house though has loads of mould on walls and floors from all the previous moisture and warmth.. it needs stripping to the bare walls and redoing from scratch...
Anybody else dealt with the aftermath of one of these grow houses? id be interested to know just what loads they pull with all the lamps, heaters and ventilation kit....

Last edited:
Are you asking as you wan to wire it in properly.

Blueberry feminised seeds are good.........
HAHA nope... not my scene.. anything stronger than an americano coffee tires me out these days. I am just amazed there have been so few major fires as it was a right bad set up.. so much moisture coupled with dodgy electrics and poor terminations was a recipe for disaster....

HAHA nope... not my scene.. anything stronger than an americano coffee tires me out these days. I am just amazed there have been so few major fires as it was a right bad set up.. so much moisture coupled with dodgy electrics and poor terminations was a recipe for disaster....
yep, a few grand of weed going up in smoke before it was rolled up would be a disaster

Most lights they use are 600W a piece. I've been in a house just after it was captured and four rooms were used for growing. Each room had 8 lights, 2 exhaust vans vented to the loft and an intake fan that went to room that had the window open, a dehumidifier and a 2KW heater. Lights were set to come on for 12 hours a day so only two rooms of lights would be running at any one time. Heaters were set to 20~ on the thermostats so only come on when the lights are off. Meter was bypassed with 16mm tails and 10mm earth to a 63A switch fuse, 16mm twin and earth from switch fuse to a CU on the landing, 4mm on a 32A mcb fed a contactor and a bank of sockets for the lights in each room which was switched by a timer and a couple of other sockets that were permantly fed for the fan speed controllers etc. I was actually impressed by the install :D

Most lights they use are 600W a piece. I've been in a house just after it was captured and four rooms were used for growing. Each room had 8 lights, 2 exhaust vans vented to the loft and an intake fan that went to room that had the window open, a dehumidifier and a 2KW heater. Lights were set to come on for 12 hours a day so only two rooms of lights would be running at any one time. Heaters were set to 20~ on the thermostats so only come on when the lights are off. Meter was bypassed with 16mm tails and 10mm earth to a 63A switch fuse, 16mm twin and earth from switch fuse to a CU on the landing, 4mm on a 32A mcb fed a contactor and a bank of sockets for the lights in each room which was switched by a timer and a couple of other sockets that were permantly fed for the fan speed controllers etc. I was actually impressed by the install :D

Sounds like it was done by a proper Sparks Lee - must have known what it was all for !

I have seen a few,and the speed and standard,of the set-up,is begrudgingly impressive.

There can be no way,that folk with electrical knowledge,possibly working,have not been involved at some stage.

The people at this job,may have had issues with incomer fusing,failing,as i know of one which had been "reset",using a short piece of split 22mm copper pipe:)

Pals of mine had a rental property,used for this job,and had carried out due diligence,with the original tenancy. Insurance picked up most,not all of the bill,minus their time,and although they had to pay a £4500 electric bill,it come back after a few months.

As long as landlords,at the lower end of the renting job,have zero sympathy from the same public who see cannabis as "soft",and worthy of legalisation,the possible profits will ensure this issue expands.

Reply to electrics in a cannabis house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net