Discuss Electrics Inspection - Does This Exist? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LCV

Hi,

I recently had my house renovated which included new plumbing and rewiring of the house. I had a letter come through from Gas Safe asking if I wanted to nominate my house for a free gas inspection following the work completed by the Plumber.

Is there such a scheme/body to inspect the Electrics? The Electrician is part of the Builder's team. My contract for the house renovation is with the builder. Towards the end of the renovation I discovered that the Electrician is not qualified. He said he is self-taught. I don't know whether to be concerned or not about this.

Thanks for your views.

No there is nothing I know of in the way of free electrical testing. It is usually more involved than gas testing requiring more man hours and thus is more expensive.

A rewire of a house requires an electrical installation certificate completed and signed by the installer, and a building control notification certificate, often known as a part P certificate.

If an electrician is to notify work to building control that usually requires being in a government approved scheme of some sort. If this is not the case and certificates are not going to be forthcoming then I would suggest all payments to the builder cease until a solution is found.

The builder has given me the Part P (NICEIC) certificate. I can't tell if the Electrician is one of the people who signed the certificate because it only states the surname and I don't know his surname.

Actually it says on the certificate that I should have the electrics inspected and tested within 5 years. So this is a service that Electricians offer? How long does this type of inspection take and how much should I budget for it? I live in a 4 bed house over 4 floors in London.

A brand new domestic installation is recommended to have it's first inspection 10 years after installation, not 5. This would not be warranted if the install has been carried out satisfactorily.

You should have an electrical installation certificate (it will state these words at the top) This should consist of a certificate, a schedule of inspections, and a schedule of test results. it is a multi page document.
You should also have the building control certificate (part P) which is a single page document and separate in relevance and status to the installation certificate.

Thanks Andy. I see.
Hmm, I think I have only been given the electrical installation certificate.
So will need to ask the builder for the other docs.
Gosh, I gave Building Control the Electrics install certificate and they have issued me a Building Certificate for the house. Either they are rubbish or that is all they needed to see.

Thanks Andy. I see.
Hmm, I think I have only been given the electrical installation certificate.
So will need to ask the builder for the other docs.
Gosh, I gave Building Control the Electrics install certificate and they have issued me a Building Certificate for the house. Either they are rubbish or that is all they needed to see.

Then it may all be done and dusted if that's the way they wanted to do it.

It is possible that your fee was included in the building planning fee .
It is up to the discretion of BC what they accept.

Reply to Electrics Inspection - Does This Exist? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net