Discuss Electrocuted from dvd player in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Snodge

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I have a strange question.
Ok so back when I was 15 I plugged a second hand dvd player into an extension lead which had nothing else plugged into it (UK 3 pin).
The plug had no cover on the back and therefore when I pushed the plug in the pins got pushed back out of the casing.
(This is the stupid part; other than not having the plug socket switched off) I used my thumb to push the top pin into the plug socket then used my right thumb to push the right pin in, and my left thumb to push the left pin in (I still had my right thumb on the right pin).
Regardless to say I got electrocuted which felt like a crazy vibrating numbing feeling and apparently I shouted at the same time.

Story-time over, I want to know if because it was a dvd player did I get a different current/voltage passing through my body than if I was doing it with a washing machine/other electric item? Or is it a standard current/ voltage from mains as if there was no appliance attached to the plug?

Just want to know what electrical properties went across my body.

Your lucky to be alive, the current passed through your right thumb, across your heart and out through your left thumb. Maybe as you were young, your body coped with the shock.

Wouldn’t have made a difference to what the plug with no cover on was feeding (washer/tv). 240volts went through your body.

Ok, first you didn’t get electrocuted, otherwise you wouldn’t be asking anything.
What you got was an electric shock at 230V.
What was connected would have made no difference to the severity of the shock you received.
If your hands had been wet, you would likely have received a more severe shock.

What was plugged in at the time is irrelevent !
The path the electricity took was all thru you !
So what was or wasn't plugged in at the time
would not have made one scrap of difference.
Live and learn !

I wonder if you are asking because you may have some physical symptoms that you think may be related to the electric shock? I say this because if the path of the shock was through the heart there is a real possibility of damage to such a delicate structure. If you have any doubts then please discuss it with your GP and act accordingly. Any one who receives an electric shock should get checked out for any such kind of damage. Perhaps you did not?

The old saying is volts Holt's, mills kills. It's not the voltage that is likely to kill you, you can get 10,000 volts off a Megger or electric fence, gives a hell of a jolt, but it only takes milliamps to kill you.

Thank you for all getting back to me. The reason I ask is because I didn't get checked out afterwards and I have trouble with anxiety which I have only just realised had started around the same sort of time.
I was just wondering how many currents went through my body if any.
I was wearing cotton socks.

Thank you for the correction from electrocuted to electric shock.

So I have been looking it up recently and supposedly could have got a heart condition such as atrial fibrillation, from the shock. Just wanted more information about it so I can further my knowledge. I think it's evident I don't know much about electrics.

Thank you for all getting back to me. The reason I ask is because I didn't get checked out afterwards and I have trouble with anxiety which I have only just realised had started around the same sort of time.
I was just wondering how many currents went through my body if any.
I was wearing cotton socks.

Thank you for the correction from electrocuted to electric shock.

So I have been looking it up recently and supposedly could have got a heart condition such as atrial fibrillation, from the shock. Just wanted more information about it so I can further my knowledge. I think it's evident I don't know much about electrics.
I'd see your GP to be honest and get a referral to get checked over then look for advice on here.

Reply to Electrocuted from dvd player in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net