Discuss Elex Sandown Park, the 18th Edition and Section 8 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Went to Elex today ...... not much going on..... not many freebies on offer!

I did sit though the NICEIC talk on the 18th Edition, not much to say really except nothing has been decided except the cover is going to be blue.

Section 8 -

The impact of the 18th Edition (BS 7671:2018) – New Part 8, Section 801 Energy Efficiency - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/66/energy-efficiency/index.cfm

Should not be in BS 7671 - this should be in the building regs and I passed this comment to Darren Stanford afterwards, and he was in complete agreement.

I think we ALL need to rebel about this.

Thoughts

I agree. They won't listen to us though.

I commented on the public draft. No doubt they won't take a blind bit of notice of the few comments that were made though. They made it difficult to comment on purpose imo.

What would be the most effective way of rebelling though?

I agree. They won't listen to us though.

I commented on the public draft. No doubt they won't take a blind bit of notice of the few comments that were made though. They made it difficult to comment on purpose imo.

What would be the most effective way of rebelling though?

A VERY good question.

Simply state on every certificate that Section 8 has not been considered?

Went to Elex today ...... not much going on..... not many freebies on offer!

I did sit though the NICEIC talk on the 18th Edition, not much to say really except nothing has been decided except the cover is going to be blue.

Section 8 -

The impact of the 18th Edition (BS 7671:2018) – New Part 8, Section 801 Energy Efficiency - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/66/energy-efficiency/index.cfm

Should not be in BS 7671 - this should be in the building regs and I passed this comment to Darren Stanford afterwards, and he was in complete agreement.

I think we ALL need to rebel about this.

Thoughts
Was he missing Tony.

Playing devil's avocado here, are the contents of this proposed section going to have much of an effect on day to day working practices ?
Is this not a case of the regs just catching up with what is already being effected in electrical design and installation ?

Energy efficiency and energy conservation have been included for a good while now in formal training so it should be second nature to many electricians.

Low energy lighting is now commonplace and has been included in the building regulations for a while now. Intelligent lighting systems that save energy are pretty much standard in commercial specifications.

I already calculate maximum demand using energy efficient options, e.g. no it's not 100W per light fitting any more despite what the IET says. They need to catch up on simple things like that.

Reply to Elex Sandown Park, the 18th Edition and Section 8 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net