Discuss Em Lighting key switches! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Crosswire

OK,
Settle this once and for all please chaps.

When keying off emergency lights, should you switch;

1) just one pole (e.g. the permanent live)
2) two poles ( e.g. both switched and permanent lives)

or

3) three poles ( both lives and neutral also (as some key switches have two poles) ) ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add another to this..

What colour conductor do you use for perm live and sw. live, iv seen it done either way. Which is the most common practice...

I generally make black the permanent live, when using 3 core, and keep brown as the switched live throughout the rest of the lighting circuit.

(Although obviously with a bit of brown sleeving)

(On the black, not the brown) :)

For lights:
Brown for switched live,
Black for permanent (sleeved brown)

For PIRs:
The other way around (A is always the auxilliary).

Have I opened a can of worms with the colour coding... :D

Personally would make most sense to use Brown as permanent/dangerous live. :D

Black sleeved as sw.

There is always disagreement as to what colour to use for permanent live and which for switch;
I subbied on a site where they wanted to use black as switched live, which I didn't query because I was just a subby and assumed they knew what they were doing. Everything went pear-shaped when they switched the power on because we had used flex 7s, which come wired the other way around.

Anyway,
back to original point - seeing as no-one has disagreed can I safely assume that only the permanent live is to be switched via an key switch for testing purposes?

For lights:
Brown for switched live,
Black for permanent (sleeved brown)

For PIRs:
The other way around (A is always the auxilliary).

cant say I agree with this, I would always use brown as a perm or unswitched live and black sleeved brown as the switched live

same as most sparks will use grey as a neutral sleaved blue,

I have asked on regs course etc to tutors what is the correct way of doing it as per regs as couldnt find anything, was told as long as the conductor is identified with sleaving then it doesnt matter what colour is used

just personal preference I would usae brown as perm live

just as in a twin cable live and switch wire, you would use the brown as the live and the sleaved blue as a switched live

Anyway,
back to original point - seeing as no-one has disagreed can I safely assume that only the permanent live is to be switched via an key switch for testing purposes?

yes you switch the perminant live

the emergency lights have a perminant live feeding them so the battery packs charge, you switch this to cut the power to them and the battery will kick in

switch the permiant live,
if you switched the switch live, they wouldnt work properly and you should never swicth the neutral

Anyway,

yes you switch the perminant live

the emergency lights have a perminant live feeding them so the battery packs charge, you switch this to cut the power to them and the battery will kick in

switch the permiant live,
if you switched the switch live, they wouldnt work properly and you should never switch the neutral

unless you get jobs from MY HAMMER in which case anything goes!!!:eek:

i use black as permanent feed and brown as switch wire

also if you use crabtree klik roses ( which i use all the time) the pre wired plug tops for the 4 pin kliks have brown in the L terminal and black in the A terminal,

so then it all matches each other up.

the sw live and and perm live are both brown, imho...the switch live tagged for id only. I've always used dp key switches, cuts both supply and sw/l....thats how i've allus done it.

when red was red, line, the same, all lives were red, switched or otherwise...tagged with yellow ferrals/tape for id only.

Only deviations were 3-phase, if on yellow phase for instance, yellow feeds and yellow sw tagged...bloody black? switch wires.Brussels needs bombing -;)

you should never switch the neutral....lol
no YOU SHOULDN'T

many em lighting circuits are double pole, in fact some key switches say N in, N out, L in, L out ...just in case
Some switch both perm live and the s/w, again dp

I best not try to explain why sometimes dp em key switches are used

Reply to Em Lighting key switches! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net