Discuss Embarrassed by fellow” professionals “ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Read many times that these situations occurred but always took it with a pinch of salt
Called out today ( some names & locations changed )
Phone call goes had a firm fit a new fuse box and do some work since then nothing works .. blah blah
Got there to find Shocking workmanship,dangerous installation totall disregard for safety the list goes on #speechless
New fb fitted ( cheap ) various sockets ,kitchen supplies ,lighting altered family about to move in nothing works
No I’d of circuits, old colour labels in fact no labels of any kind
No certificate ,no building control notification,no test certs- phone calls from clients not being answered - family without any safety working Electrics of any kind
The “electricians” and I use that term loosely have been paid up - yet it’s not working and appalling quality and now avoiding phone calls
Wrong size MCBs ,wrong size cables,no ring continuity,old cables used ,through crimps not crimped properly and bare terminals exposed ,the cheapest sockets I have ever seen ,cables joined in walls and then buried in,no main bonding to water ,1 x ring main for whole house 1 x lighting circuit for whole house ,cables falling out of socket terminations , no earth sleeping on some “ new “ sockets ,4 cables in a socket ,the list goes on
It felt like a set up for rogue traders
Took me 5 hrs to get some resemblance of a working electrical system
And we wonder why we are called cowboys??
What I’m asking is I have since found out they are in my scheme group of companies - I’m in N***** and there in E***** - someone needs to pay for my time back to the client - so want to complain and get them kicked out or something???
Am I a grass ? Does this happen all the time ?
How do people sleep at night
Pictures to follow ...

Yes, if their LABC will agree.
Is likely to cost much more though.
Need to check what had been agreed between the client and the other electricians.
If it was agreed the other electricians would do the work to BS7671 and make notification, then they should contact Trading Standards.
Might get somewhere making a complaint to the Scheme, but I doubt it.
Schemes usually want the original electricians to be allowed to put the work right.
If that fails they would want another scheme member to do the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had similar job last week, got to go in next week to in effect reinstall the consumer unit, disconnect it, do the testign and put it back together.. then issue a new eic and notify it. as last bloke was a scam merchant.
Building control wouldn't accept an EICR to notify it, said options were pay them £490+ to do an eicr through there electrician!!! and then they will subject to any issues being put right issue notification certificate.
Alternative is what i am doing, stripping it back and reinstalling it as new. then its notified as a new consumer unit via scheme. as long as the Cu and devices are all in good condition and okay treat them as new parts. you might have to buy one or two new ones.
if you disconnect circuits, check cables, protective devices and confirm all testing is okay then go ahead issue an EIC and notify via your scheme.

Had similar job last week, got to go in next week to in effect reinstall the consumer unit, disconnect it, do the testign and put it back together.. then issue a new eic and notify it. as last bloke was a scam merchant.
Building control wouldn't accept an EICR to notify it, said options were pay them £490+ to do an eicr through there electrician!!! and then they will subject to any issues being put right issue notification certificate.
Alternative is what i am doing, stripping it back and reinstalling it as new. then its notified as a new consumer unit via scheme. as long as the Cu and devices are all in good condition and okay treat them as new parts. you might have to buy one or two new ones.
if you disconnect circuits, check cables, protective devices and confirm all testing is okay then go ahead issue an EIC and notify via your scheme.
so why do we not bother with the scams then just go direct to the labc.so when you strip down the engine and put the nuts and bolt back will the customer pays you to do the remedial work then and at their cost !

Am I a grass ? Does this happen all the time ?
How do people sleep at night
Pictures to follow ...

I don’t see it as being a “grass”. I see it as maintaining a duty of care to customers that they are not harmed or worse still, killed, by what sounds like very irresponsible and shoddy work.

Why protect those who clearly have no clue (or don’t care) what they are doing?

Agree with the above - people need to be informed of things like this. And I strongly dislike the term 'grass' - it's used by the criminals out there as a deregotory term, whereas in actual fact the act of informing the relevant authorities of criminal activity, etc. is something to be proud of.

Agree with the above - people need to be informed of things like this. And I strongly dislike the term 'grass' - it's used by the criminals out there as a deregotory term, whereas in actual fact the act of informing the relevant authorities of criminal activity, etc. is something to be proud of.

If they're registered with Exxxx, then get the client to report the cowboy to them, take supporting photographs as evidence. Also register the facts with your scheme.

May be things like this actually need highlighting further up the chain which would be the governments M.H.C.L.G.
I believe the scams operate the competent persons schemes under a licence issued by the secretary of state would it be prudent to notify the government department that issues that licence
I'm assuming that these licences are periodically renewed and appropriate assessments and due diligence is carried out by MHCLG before renewal

Reply to Embarrassed by fellow” professionals “ in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net