Discuss emergency light testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I have an emergency light test coming up. I have never carried one out before. Is it as simple as:
1. Checking there is a key switch/isolator
2. Making sure all emergencies are working correctly
3. Making sure the batteries are up to scratch by them staying illuminated for the 3 hours?

Any advice will be great fully received.
Thanks

Well first step is a good read of the bs5266....but the paperwork is just as important...logging and numbering every fitting, with location and type. Covering log book for customer and maintenance tests, of visual, weekly 5 mins tests, 6 monthly 30 min tests and annually 3 hour duration discharge test...you will need to have spares onboard, for lamp and battery changes, there is no "i`ll come back next week to change the tube", it needs to be done asap....a survey before testing is always important

Apparently there was a test done with remedials outstanding and they still haven't been done. So that's a good start....

Can be a very serious game to play.....if for any reason it can be prove that lack of em lighting, resulted in people being trapped in a building...the HS could have a field day....always keep log book and paper work up to date

erm no from memory you are seeing if there is a compliant system. if the building is massive and has one emergency light would you say that was fine? do you have to original design documents?

No they won't be there I wouldn't imagine. And I would imagine the system is old so could well need a few adding.
Do either of you know of anywhere I can download a decent cert template?

Well it is valid point, if there is not enough lighting to comply, you will need to re design/upgrade the system....as to certs, used your scam jobbies,

Is the testing side basically switching the key switch and making visually checking all fittings are up to standard?

Unfortunately, not every system includes a keyswitch to mimic a power loss. I was working in a nursery last week and had to go in at the weekend as the circuits had to be switched off to do a visual check :-(

Reply to emergency light testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock