Discuss Emergency Lighting Testing requirements in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

claret73

Hi Guys
Any information on testing requirements for emergency lighting in an appartment development? Anything unusual outside the normal testing procedures, such as compliance to other Regs or required certificates?
Cheers

It should have an EIC for the installation and there should also be a record of tests kept in a safe place with all the relevant test dates and results recorded, these are functional tests not tests on the condition of the wiring etc.

Regards...............Howard

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Know you requirements[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Emergency lighting is required in all premises where people are employed.
It is a Life Safety System and is required to assist the occupants in the event of an emergency. It will assist in the evacuation of a premises in the event of power failure.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is a mandatory requirement to be installed where artificial lighting is installed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Remember, Emergency Lighting is designed to help save lives.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Legal Responsibilities
All Employers, Landlords or Occupiers have a duty under the “Fire Precaution (Workplace) Regulations 1999” to carry out a risk assessment to ensure their premises and activities are able to facilitate safe escape in the event of an emergency.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Complying with the Fire Precaution (Workplace) Regulations 1997
The Emergency Lighting British Standard BS5266 defines the requirements for the correct installation of Emergency Lighting. Compliance with this standard will ensure that your premises, meets the requirements of the Fire Precaution (Workplace) Regulations.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Continued Compliance with BS5266
As you can see above, compliance with the Emergency Lighting Regulations BS5266 will ensure you meet your statutory requirements, but only if the system is fully functioning.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BS5266 part-1 further sets out the requirements for continued user checks and routine inspection & tests.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BS5266 requires inspection & tests should be carried out at the following intervals (Frequencies);[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Daily
Monthly
Six-Monthly
Three Yearly
Subsequent Annual Test
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All check frequencies have specific requirements. Checks should be recorded where necessary in the Emergency Lighting Log Book.[/FONT]

Hi all, drifting off the touch a bit, but can anyone recommend a source of an inexpensive Emergency Lighting /Fire alarm testing log book? I've similar situation ongoing ( New build block of 4x apartments with common parts containing emergency lighting and smoke alarms ).

Thanks

Will

Hi all, drifting off the touch a bit, but can anyone recommend a source of an inexpensive Emergency Lighting /Fire alarm testing log book? I've similar situation ongoing ( New build block of 4x apartments with common parts containing emergency lighting and smoke alarms ).

Thanks

Will

Your local fire authority will have them for around £10 which includes EM lighting, Fire alarm,Fire hose/reels and extinquishers and will usually take 2 years to fill up. Also includes guidence on inspection intervals.

Ash

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Know you requirements[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Emergency lighting is required in all premises where people are employed.
It is a Life Safety System and is required to assist the occupants in the event of an emergency. It will assist in the evacuation of a premises in the event of power failure.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is a mandatory requirement to be installed where artificial lighting is installed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Remember, Emergency Lighting is designed to help save lives.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Legal Responsibilities
All Employers, Landlords or Occupiers have a duty under the “Fire Precaution (Workplace) Regulations 1999” to carry out a risk assessment to ensure their premises and activities are able to facilitate safe escape in the event of an emergency.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Complying with the Fire Precaution (Workplace) Regulations 1997
The Emergency Lighting British Standard BS5266 defines the requirements for the correct installation of Emergency Lighting. Compliance with this standard will ensure that your premises, meets the requirements of the Fire Precaution (Workplace) Regulations.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Continued Compliance with BS5266
As you can see above, compliance with the Emergency Lighting Regulations BS5266 will ensure you meet your statutory requirements, but only if the system is fully functioning.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BS5266 part-1 further sets out the requirements for continued user checks and routine inspection & tests.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BS5266 requires inspection & tests should be carried out at the following intervals (Frequencies);[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Daily
Monthly
Six-Monthly
Three Yearly
Subsequent Annual Test
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All check frequencies have specific requirements. Checks should be recorded where necessary in the Emergency Lighting Log Book.[/FONT]

Under BS5266 : Part 1 2005 there is no requirement for a 6 month or 3 yearly test. Monthly test by user for no more than 15 minutes and annually for the full duration of the emergency/escape light.

Colin Walker

Reply to Emergency Lighting Testing requirements in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net