Discuss Emergency Lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Mark.W

-
Reaction score
Hey guys,

How do you all wire your emergency lighting?

Option 1. When the key switch is switched, ALL lights go off and the emergencies stay on.
Option 2. The lights operate as normal when the key switch is switched but the emergencies switch to emergency mode.

With option 2, am I correct in thinking there are 2 permanent lives from the DB (brown & black), the black is the PL to the fitting (via a key switch) and the brown is the SL via a switch, PIR etc? What I cant understand is how the fitting goes into emergency mode when the key switch is switched if the fitting also has a SL from a PIR etc. Do I have to switch both via a double pole key switch???

I am probably overthinking this TBH.

Thanks in advance.

It is usually best to go with option 2 as it is less inconvenience for other users of the building especially on annual testing. As to the other part it is all in the wiring system you use and there are different combos of how to do it. But there is not 2 PL. Unless you mean one for the em. light and one for the switched ordinary lights.

Yeah that's what I mean are there 2 supplies from the MCB, 1 for the E/L and 1 to the PIR??

Usually one, as if the normal lights fail the em. light needs to come on, hence the same circuit. Essentially the same Line is used for em. and normal its just how you do it in the switch really. So I have seen double pole grid secret switch with linked live to normal light switch (grid obviously) going from top or bottom depending on whether someone set it up to only em. lights off or all lights. I usually switch this arrangement to only em. lights go off in test. so link form supply line straight to common on light switch. But that can be a problem sometimes for photometric data confirmation so the whole circuit would have to be switched off at MCB but it's only once a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
When wiring emergency lighting I agree on option two being the favoured method. Depends on your wiring method. If we install a central bank key switch at Board then we install brown from MCB to key switch common terminal then a brown feed to Fittings if 3 plate or switches if 2plate method.we then wire a separate emergency switch line from load side of key switch to permanent live connections in Fittings or roses etc.

If we are installing Test switch key facilities in close vicinity of emergency light fittings then we always wire lighting 3 plate method and put a triple to switch from main 3 plate connection giving the switch two slides lines and a feed cable.

It's even better on jobs if we have to tube, trunking and install singles, you can do anything to suite the easiest installation.

I hope this makes dome sense, would be easier to draw it but I can't upload pics yet.

The switch over on Emergency ballast modules operate on detection of no voltage input and illuminate the lamp / led controlled. This is becoming more harder to see when testing with the introduction of microwave sensors.

When wiring emergency lighting I agree on option two being the favoured method. Depends on your wiring method. If we install a central bank key switch at Board then we install brown from MCB to key switch common terminal then a brown feed to Fittings if 3 plate or switches if 2plate method.we then wire a separate emergency switch line from load side of key switch to permanent live connections in Fittings or roses etc.

If we are installing Test switch key facilities in close vicinity of emergency light fittings then we always wire lighting 3 plate method and put a triple to switch from main 3 plate connection giving the switch two slides lines and a feed cable.

It's even better on jobs if we have to tube, trunking and install singles, you can do anything to suite the easiest installation.

I hope this makes dome sense, would be easier to draw it but I can't upload pics yet.

The switch over on Emergency ballast modules operate on detection of no voltage input and illuminate the lamp / led controlled. This is becoming more harder to see when testing with the introduction of microwave sensors.

Thanks mate, could you possibly email me a pic when you get a chance?

To answer your question you only need the permanent live/charge conductor to be connected through the test facility, isolating this will send the fitting into battery mode regardless of the switch line conductor. Remember the annual duration test is exactly that to see whether luminaries remain illuminated for their stated duration time.

Reply to Emergency Lighting in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock