Discuss emergency lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
finished a job a little while ago for a builder who was refurbishing a male and female toilet. the existing lunch box running man em lights were replaced (as per customer specs) with recessed led em lights, one above the exit door and one in the centre of the room. I received a call today from the builder asking why I hadn't screwed the battery pack and inverter to a board (above suspended ceiling)? should I have done? their was nothing in the manufactures instructions about it and it was never mentioned before.
what do you guys think?

cheers, adie

I know usually they are just left on the suspended ceiling but leaving anything of weight on a suspended ceiling is bad practice. Probably also says in manufacturer instructions it should be fixed.

I know usually they are just left on the suspended ceiling but leaving anything of weight on a suspended ceiling is bad practice. Probably also says in manufacturer instructions it should be fixed.

If the control gear/battery have points for fixing them, then the intention is to fix them.

Does the way you have installed it offer non combustible support ?

a rather sheepish answer is i dont know, unless the ceiling tile tile has qualities that would satisfy (but I doubt it, but will look in to it) then I'm guessing not.
their were indeed fixing holes in at least the control gear, but nothing in the manufactures instructions as to a requirement secure it.
Can you buy fire resistant 600mm2 boards for this kind of application as I've never seen anything like it.

edit; would a piece of fire resistant plaster board cut to 600X600 suffice?

Last edited:
a rather sheepish answer is i dont know, unless the ceiling tile tile has qualities that would satisfy (but I doubt it, but will look in to it) then I'm guessing not.
their were indeed fixing holes in at least the control gear, but nothing in the manufactures instructions as to a requirement secure it.
Can you buy fire resistant 600mm2 boards for this kind of application as I've never seen anything like it.

edit; would a piece of fire resistant plaster board cut to 600X600 suffice?

escape routes - IET Electrical - http://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/54/escape-routes/index.cfm

I don't think he means replace the ceiling tile with a board and fix them to that, I think he will mean why haven't you fixed them to something above the false ceiling tiles. Daz

if there isn't any existing tray/trunking/tube above false ceilings- what is the common (acceptable) - but not too expensive way of running cables above false ceiling tiles? maybe non combustible cable ties+ non combustible anchors ??

if there isn't any existing tray/trunking/tube above false ceilings- what is the common (acceptable) - but not too expensive way of running cables above false ceiling tiles? maybe non combustible cable ties+ non combustible anchors ??

That obviously depends on the budget of the job, available fixing points, access above ceiling etc. But the cheapest, easiest, and quickest way is,all round band loops. Powder coated to protect the cable sheath, but the thick powder coats don't seem available any more.

P clips, D line clips, band strapping etc but if your just fitting the burglar alarm, data or its a shop fit just use your rods as a javelin :D

Last edited:
the existing circuit is in tray about 500mm above the ceiling. the drops from the tray come vertically down to the em light gear box and then splits one cable to the fitting and one to the battery. these are all light weight and the ceiling manufacturer says if a test fit is performed and no deformation of the tile occurs then it's OK to put things on them. if I'm going back to screw these down I wanted to know if it's something I was required to do and if not I will obviously be charging. I know all they want is a bit of plywood thrown up their with them screwed to that. looking at andy's link, reading the regs chapter 42 and refering to the ceiling manufactures info I think what I have done is fine.

Last edited:
My opinion, you stated the gear had fixing points and hence should be fixed with no additional charge.

Reply to emergency lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net