Discuss end of line downlighter eicr test in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wilson12

-
Trainee
Reaction score
when doing a eicr and finding the maximum zs for a lighting circuit with a mix of regular one light per room fittings and several downlights in a kitchen, how does everyone go about testing as having a room with say 10 spotlights fiding the end of line could be pulling down the last one to find this and damaging the ceiling in the process.

Try and think logically, try the furthest from the wall switch then try one a bit closer.
Depending on which of your measurements are higher you can narrow it down.
Another way is if they are class 1 lights take a R2 lead measure each point of the exposed part of the light to find the highest resistance.
By doing so you have confirmed that the the exposed conductive part of each light is connected to earth and you should find the end of line from your highest measured R2.
If they are class 2 lights then you’ll have to drop them I’m afraid.
If the customer refuses the removal of the downlights due to possible damage to the ceiling then it may have to be recorded as an operational limitation on the report but the client should be encouraged to have it done as it is for safety after all.

Last edited:
when doing a eicr and finding the maximum zs for a lighting circuit with a mix of regular one light per room fittings and several downlights in a kitchen, how does everyone go about testing as having a room with say 10 spotlights fiding the end of line could be pulling down the last one to find this and damaging the ceiling in the process.
Go careful don't rush

You would look at the agreed limitations of the EICR. You would agree with the customer that you could not realistically test these without damaging the ceiling. Or if you can do a 2 lead test you could look at testing at the switch.

At the very least if they are class 1 fittings 230v and they can’t be removed,then use the R2 lead to confirm that they are connected to earth.
It may mean removing the lamp and placing the probe on the inside of the fitting as usually the outer cover is coated and you don’t really want to be scratching the exposed part trying to get continuity.

Or you could do the same as @Ian1981 suggested if you can short R1 and Rn at the Cu or switch (if lucky) and use a lightmate to identify the extremity , then take that fitting down

what pi** me off when doing Zs on lighting fitting, when the f77king peter the painter painted in side the pendant and put it back wet ,and sticks like super glue .when dried, hammer out and start getting if off.

Last edited:
And the older ones are welded with heat and it turns the screws out trying to get them out , despite :) the gentle tapping.

Use a kewtech lightmate. Just seen that has been suggested but I was thinking go onto the metal work if it is Class I for the earth instead. Although saying that I have come across older downlights that the earth does not connect to the metal work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to end of line downlighter eicr test in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net