Discuss end of line on lighting circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

siralexbateman

Whenever I wire a basic lighting circuit in Twin and earth I wire it in a radial with one end-of-line (e.o.l). However, I don't actually know the reason why...apart from believing its good practise? Is it wrong to have more than one e.o.l and if so why? For certain runs it would be a lot cheaper to split away from points especially if the run home is in the centre of the circuit . This would save you having to run back on yourself and save cable. The only reason I can think not to do this is for testing purposes. You now have to test from two points. Any advice appreciated

No reason whatsoever, although if possible I always do it as well especially in domesatic, HOWEVER when it comes to commercial you may have to split it to ensure you don't go over Volt drop limits or EFLI limits, or just to avoid using £££'s worth of extra cable.

as long as your branch is made in a fitting or by using a MF JB, no problem at all.

I suppose it comes down to training when wiring a circuit, there's a right way and a way which is out of the ordinary although it may not be a problem in doing it that way, the guys who trained me would have kicked me up and down the street if non conventional methods were carried out, but then there were not Electrical Trainee and 7DW back then.

I suppose it comes down to training when wiring a circuit, there's a right way and a way which is out of the ordinary although it may not be a problem in doing it that way, the guys who trained me would have kicked me up and down the street if non conventional methods were carried out, but then there were not Electrical Trainee and 7DW back then.

Thats a new one!! lol

Do you mean the old 'spider method' which used to be employed years ago where all the light feeds spidered off from a JB hidden under the floor somewhere?
Or trying to get more wires into a rose than the manufacturer allowed for?
As you say, it makes testing unnecessarily complicated for the sake of pinching pennies on cable; if the cct is designed properly you shouldn't have to double back too many times.

I agree. The guy who trained me had one way of doing things and that was the right way, any deviation from that without his permission or a bloody quick and good reason from me for the deviation would have resulted in, at the very least, a slap.
Luckily for me he was a damn good spark who knew his stuff.
As Tel said though as long as the branches are correctly made off and it is noted somewhere then there's nothing wrong

Haha! This is exactly what I wanted! Reasons not to deviate. I could only really think about the testing problem and my aim wasn't to create a spider web! So effectively it is purely for good practise. I understand how complicated people can make testing and the last thing you want in an area with multiple switch lines is additional e.o.l's. Also, agree on too many cables at one point. I just wanted clarification, I guess. Someone was rushing me to board a ceiling and I thought a way round was to split a circuit to get out of their way. Then I thought **** is that actually acceptable or not? All advice appreciated

It's not just doing it for the sake of it though - where would you spider out from while still keeping the joints accessible and logical? Remember every termination is a potentially high resistance joint. A weak spot. An invitation for problems.

No, just wonderful, competent electricians and no customer, I mean no customer ever got ripped off by a charlatan who didn't know what they were doing.

Reply to end of line on lighting circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net