Discuss Energy meter overheating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have had this energy meter over a year with no problems, plugged a 1500W oil filled radiator (new) into it today and the heater started to flicker and I could smell burning, the live pin is blackened and hot, the socket it was plugged into slightly melted. Meter says rated to 3kw and have used it previously with a 2.4kw floor heater. Anyone used/had problems these meters?IMG_20181223_165434.jpg

I would hazard a guess that there is a loose or dodgy connection inside causing an increased resistance which has shown itself in the black pin and marks. you might find that the old heater was better at using the load not drawing a more constant current. it could be the socket itself rather than the meter plug but hard to say without taking both apart. not sure how handy you are with a screwdriver, and in anycase turn the power off first, change the socket and you will maybe learn some more.

I have temporarily used meters like this with high loads like kettles and fan heaters during temporary testing.
My best practices understanding is to always avoid , adapters & extension cables with any
high current devices as they prone to cooking up any weak points in the circuit.
( Adding more weak points in circuit = bad practice , mathematically more risky)

Plug all high current devices ,directly into wall socket ..especially if un-attended..!

It's a chicken and egg thing with burned plugs and sockets, one leads to the other failing but you never know which one was at fault first.

The plug on the heater may have already had some damage which in turn caused damage to the socket in the energy meter. The heater plug may even have also been damaged by a poor socket elsewhere previously.

Bottom line is the energy meter might have been the victim rather than the perpetrator.

Reply to Energy meter overheating in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net