Discuss EPC New Build in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've just installed the modules on a new build, it will be some weeks away before I can install the inverter and commission the system.

How does it work with regard to the EPC. Do I leave the system switched off and the builder ask the energy assessor to issue the EPC for the building and tell him not to included the Solar in his assesment ? Then once the EPC is in place I commission the system and issue the MCS Cert ?

Also I guess I issue it in the name of the builder as the house will not be sold at this time, does this matter when the final owner moves in will they be able to claim the FIT ?

All advice appreciated.

Stu.

yes that's pretty much it - we don't connect the final wire into the inverter just to be on the safe side with the EPC assessor, so it's clearly not commissioned.

royal pain in the rear end.

Does anybody have any suggestion on a procedure for getting Higher Rate where the Solar PV is required by SAP for the building's completion? As a result, it's not possible to generate an EPC without the solar (because it's before completion).

As per this thread (EPC Requirements - http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/threads/epc-requirements.108983/) it's now no longer possible to have MCS and EPC dated the same to be accepted - they changed the wording.

It also poses an issue that the house's owners may wish to extend the currently small systems to something larger. Even if they don't register original installation (to prevent it being an extension..), the one and only EPC for the property will include the Solar... so still not qualifying for Higher Rate.

It's all fine and well (!!) if that was the intention, but I was never aware of any policy change to prevent new build from getting higher rate FIT - anyone else (unless I'm wrong here of course)?

You need to get two EPCs. One without the Solar at an earlier date and one with the solar at a later date. The MCS registration needs to be done in between the two dates. This relies on the fact that the new build will meet an EPC of D without the solar. If it doesn't, this would be a gob smackingly terrible building.

With regard to system extension, if a system has already been registered, it is no longer possible to get an extension under changes in the FIT rules made at the beginning of the year. This was simply spite by by a DECC official looking to restrict FIT in any way possible.

Issues over EPCs and other issues within FIT rules are being addressed with BEIS, but don't expect anything to change in the coming weeks.......

Thanks for that. I'm currently in conversation with Ofgem about this.

On your first point, that was my understanding too. However all the buildings in question have the Solar PV included in the SAP requirement for the house. The builders and energy assessors have confirmed that in that case it is not possible to generate an EPC before the solar is commissioned, as the house can not be completed before the house is Completed. The building must be complete before an EPC can be generated. To become completed it needs the solar commissioned. Catch 22!

Ofgem have informed me that we can have the building exemption form completed by an Energy Asessor to say that the building is not a "relevant building" prior to construction, in order to avoid the requirement for EPC. However Energy Asessors I've spoken to have told me that are not allowed to do this.

Agreed though, of course all new builds will be well above the D rating without the solar. So this appears to me that they have deliberately made new builds with Solar PV designed into SAP non eligible for the higher rate FIT.

And yes, glad you also agree on the extensions. Though I'm still trying to gain further clarity on this from Ofgem, as I feel it's not appropriate to penalise the home owner for extending their system BEFORE applying for FIT.

I'll post summary of result of my exchange with Ofgem here.

I intend to flag this up at the next MCS technical steering group meeting as well. Not that MCS has any jurisdiction, but the steering group were to agree to write to DECC & OFGEM to raise the issue and request that they address it, then it's possible that it might get resolved. Ofgem has the ability to interpret the regulation so that they apply in the way that was intended, so they could solve this issue pretty much at a stroke.

It's causing us major headaches as well.

I raised this in my consultation response btw, not sure if anyone else did.....

Glad it's not just me!

I asked my tame EPC guy to bring it up with some of his industry groups he's involved with too, so perhaps pressure from several angles will help matters for us all.

Reply to EPC New Build in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock