Discuss Ermmm...!!! Breaking in... in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

The landlord probably paid £1 for each property. I seem to remember there were some houses up for sale @ £1 each in that area a few years back. (no kidding)

I would agree with surface trunking too.

your right,benwell it was, you got them for a quid as long as you promised to do them up tyneside flats their known as..

your right,benwell it was, you got them for a quid as long as you promised to do them up tyneside flats their known as..

Yes they are!

They are a design classic - I saw a programme on TV a while ago about classic designs of all sorts, & Tyneside flats were on it.

If they're looked after properly, they're really good houses. I used to work for a builder who was buying them up in Gateshead & we completely renovated them - new roofs, ceilings, stud walls windows doors, bathrooms, kitchens etc. Completely rewired, replumbed & new central heating systems fitted.

I did all the electrical, plumbing & gas work & batroom & kitchen fitting. When they were finished they were beautiful places to live in. The obvious downside was the area they were in.

Yes they are!

They are a design classic - I saw a programme on TV a while ago about classic designs of all sorts, & Tyneside flats were on it.

If they're looked after properly, they're really good houses. I used to work for a builder who was buying them up in Gateshead & we completely renovated them - new roofs, ceilings, stud walls windows doors, bathrooms, kitchens etc. Completely rewired, replumbed & new central heating systems fitted.

I did all the electrical, plumbing & gas work & batroom & kitchen fitting. When they were finished they were beautiful places to live in. The obvious downside was the area they were in.

agree they are bullet proof,have to be in some areas,:(,tho they make good homes,shame some people drag an area down with them..

agree they are bullet proof,have to be in some areas,:(,tho they make good homes,shame some people drag an area down with them..

Yes, the bloke I worked for was a very good landlord - he wouldn't expect his tennants to accept something he wouldn't accept himself - & only let his properties out to professional folk. Some worked at the university, some at the airport etc. on short term contract.

He couldn't however, control who was living in other parts of the area. :(

Yes, the bloke I worked for was a very good landlord - he wouldn't expect his tennants to accept something he wouldn't accept himself - & only let his properties out to professional folk. Some worked at the university, some at the airport etc. on short term contract.

He couldn't however, control who was living in other parts of the area. :(

true,those flats were a community with shops,like benwell,coatsy road saltwell road etc,lose the flats you lose the shops you lose the community and the place goes to ruin.

true,those flats were a community with shops,like benwell,coatsy road saltwell road etc,lose the flats you lose the shops you lose the community and the place goes to ruin.

That's exactly right.

Back in the '50's & '60's when I was very young, my Mother's aunt & uncle lived in an upstairs flat on Coatsy Road & it was a great communtity & I spent a lot of time with them. Nowadays, nobody seems to know who is living next door to them.

junkies or chavs probably...the place is dying man..from what ive read in the ronny gill the shopkeepers are kicking off all over not just on coatsy rd,but the same type of places

I know!!

Dunno what the answer is though ...... if I did, I wouldn't be sitting here that's for sure.

I'm actually pleased that I'm the age I am (wrong side of 60) cos I'd hate to be a youngster nowadays.

I know!!

Dunno what the answer is though ...... if I did, I wouldn't be sitting here that's for sure.

I'm actually pleased that I'm the age I am (wrong side of 60) cos I'd hate to be a youngster nowadays.

while im a bit younger'ish,whats gets me when i was an apprentice in the 80's no matter where we were working you could go down the street and and get a propa savaloy in a stottie with pud and mustard and dipped from a real butcher any where,shields road was my favourtie,now cant get one anywhere other than dicksons and theres are tiny..

ahhhh savaloys....!!

dickinson i know...!! i was in south shields other week and got one!! so so lush...

always get one from the galleries if im passing as well........!!! when i was down plymouth i could not get pease pudding for love nor money!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Ermmm...!!! Breaking in... in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net