Discuss Escape routes again & again in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just done our 18th,hey ok,tutor mentioned metal fixings etc,we were in a classroom with normal T bar false ceiling,I asked if these cables above needed proper metallic supporting,he said no ceiling is fire rated.
Not really getting that,looks so flimsy ,what do you guys reckon.

A ceiling grid is not there to catch falling cables. Suspended ceilings can offer fire protection but they must be suitably constructed and a fire certificate issued if they are to be used for this purpose. Either way your tutor was incorrect as the cables require suitable fixing to prevent premature collapse and even if the ceiling is fire protected any falling cables may impair its integrity.

Agree,but he certainly didn’t,don’t know the fire rating of these ceilings,it’s a ceiling all be it ,a false ceiling,does it have the same rating like a plaster board ceiling.
You can’t just put in any ceiling,without some fire rating,can you...specificed by county council preambles.

It would be quite unusual to have a suspended ceiling not forming part of a protected route to be fire protected certified. Generally the ceiling is aesthetic and fire protection if required will be above it, this includes protected routes because it is cheaper to put unseen protection above than to construct a certified suspended ceiling.

With you..installing the electrics May well happen below that protection then,& correct install would happen ie: metallic fixings.
In an ideal world electrics could go above,but then 2nd fix would actually compromise the fire ceiling.

Just to play devils advocate, I don't think he was saying they don't need any support but that no special metallic support is needed.

That is the cables should still be on suitable tray, conduit or other support system but that does not need to be fixed using fire rated fixing. Not just thrown across the tiles using the ceiling matrix as support.

Personally its horses for courses, if there is no existing support system in place then I'll fix using metallic fixings. If there is then use it as long as not over loading.

or bang it on the data tray and hope............. joking!!

Agree,tray norm thing to do these days,it’s actually how much tray do to you install,& coming off the tray to the positions required,with the correct fixings.

Agree,but he certainly didn’t,don’t know the fire rating of these ceilings,it’s a ceiling all be it ,a false ceiling,does it have the same rating like a plaster board ceiling.
You can’t just put in any ceiling,without some fire rating,can you...specificed by county council preambles.
Should have asked him when he sat on the board at the IET and where his name was in the front of the book :tearsofjoy: some people just have to be right all the time the regs are open to interpretation but be wary interpretations have to be justified it’s your donkey on the line

Reply to Escape routes again & again in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net