Discuss Estate car or van? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mattmoo1974

Right heres the story be going a while(Very litte work)
My other half decided to keep driving my little pug estate after the fan belt came off :(
So now its dead and goin got car heaven :(
Iv tryed quizzing the taxman about what i can claim for when using my car(estate)
I got told 40p per mile and thats it? But everything on a van repairs etc etc?
Iv noticed a few people mention they use estate cars on here, I was just wondering if anyone could help me on this matter please.
Really id like to buy another estate(kids/dog/shopping) all fit in in one go :D
Oh i should mention the misses uses the car/estate for work, So a transit van isnt going to get me layed very often :D And i can use are Voyager if i need somat with alot of room(but its 25-30 mpg) where as teh pug was 45 average.
She racks up about 250+ miles a week.

That's right mate, you can only legally claim mileage for use of a private car for business. If you buy the car thru the business you can't claim any of the vat back either (if you're vat registered) whereas a van you can claim it all back.

I would say transit as I have one!! Also since the arrival of the best little lady ever!! the V70 volvo D5 is a good one. Good on fuel can get upto 55 mpg loads of room missus v happy with it. and they last a long time.

So just jot down mileage i use it for work and thats it? Just claim at 40p you d say?
A van just isnt that practical for me at the mo, But if a car is going to turn into a paper nightmare id have a van.

I started with a vectra hatchback loads of boot space with seats folded down. Printed off a piece of A4 with columns for start mileage and end for business trips. rounded up to the nearest mile! worked for me!

Also since the arrival of the best little lady ever!! the V70 volvo D5 is a good one. Good on fuel can get upto 55 mpg loads of room missus v happy with it. and they last a long time.

Slightly O/T but how on earth are you managing to get 55mpg out of the D5 ... I'm lucky to get 40 on long journeys :(

i know it looks pig ugly but for me its a citroen berlingo multispace, it is the same size as the van with windows so i can go the tip. dog on the front seat wife in the boot. job done and the 1.6 diesel you get 45 to the gallon

Have you looked at vehicles like the Mitsubishi Barbarian twin cab?All the comforts of a car with the load capabilities of a van, and classed as a commercial vehicle!

Have you looked at vehicles like the Mitsubishi Barbarian twin cab?All the comforts of a car with the load capabilities of a van, and classed as a commercial vehicle!

Every other vehicle on the roads in Cyprus is one of those twin cab pick-ups. They also carry the lowest road tax band. Even if they are powered by 2.8 engines!!! Reason, ...classified as the traditional mode of vehicle for farmers and land workers!! Sod the fact that they guzzle the fuel down, and that the older ones are polluting the Islands roads, cities, towns and villages...haha!!!:D

Sorted 04 plate fiat doblo diesel Brand new MOT £750!
Ex taxi been to the moon and back but serviced to death.
Well wierd inside but bucket loads of room, Even got wheel chair access :D
Cheap tax the works, And the misses likes it(Even the colour lol)
And for that kinda money even if it does just does the year its cheap motoring.

I was gonny suggest something like a crew van Allied vehicles in glasgow did a conversion ( they do taxi conversions ,disabled conversions ect ) mostly of citrone realat styles and someone in their design team did a "Contractor van seats front and rear window in door tool storage in back door roofrack n ladders on back door it looked the dogs a M8 got one for taking his dogs to shows
As for your choice that looks like a good wee van and the couple of guys i know have them n they seem to have no probs

Slightly O/T but how on earth are you managing to get 55mpg out of the D5 ... I'm lucky to get 40 on long journeys :(

04 plate and I have done a load of driving courses added to that I hate paying for fuel. The art is in taking your foot off the pedal until you just start to loose speed then put it down slightly, i have managed almost 60mpg going to Glos from London. having said that I also got 20mpg the other day when I floored it a lot!!:artist:

04 plate <snip> i have managed almost 60mpg going to Glos from London. having said that I also got 20mpg the other day when I floored it a lot!!:artist:

That'll be your main advantage - '04 plate... nice euro IV engine with no DPF ... I have the '07 Euro V version which is recognised to be less economical than it's predecessor.

Tempting to floor it from time to time though, really surprises a lot of people ;)

may have been mentioned if you have a estate car then you have to insure it for buisness use or your insurance will be voide and the car may end up getting crushed

Iv got traders nick, £400 a year unlimited cars 1 bike or quad and that me down as a sparky as well :D to and thro to work.
Just put my misses on who's 10 years younger then me and it went up by £40!

Just to add about the tax side:
As said, you can claim a £ per mile, or alternatively you can keep track of the total cost/expenditure of the vehicle and then claim a percentage for work. Taxman accepts either method - but you can't mix them. If you have a car that you use for work they will expect to see 'private use', although the extent of this will depend upon personal circumstances, e.g. whether you have a second car etc. I used to have a pick-up and claimed 80% business use on the cost of running it and 20% private usage. We had a second car which we used as a our main 'private' vehicle.

Reply to Estate car or van? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock