Discuss Ethernet point no internet in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

There's (from memory) EIA 258A which splits all the pairs but makes sense for multi-line phones. Then there's EIA 258B which is the same layout as EIA 568A which makes sense for data connections.
The computer world stanardised on 258B for Ethernet a long time ago.

As already said, the twisted pairs are vital to carrying the signals properly - if you split the pairs then things just don't work. For 100M ethernet, there'll be two pairs carrying something like 125 MHz signals. For gigabit ethernet there's four pairs carrying something like 300MHz signals. Numbers could be off, but it's in the 100MHz up range.
By contrast, the standard phone line was only ever intended to carry up to 3 kHz. That changes with xDSL which uses up to a few MHz, but that is adaptive in terms of working with what the line will support.
So it's the difference between something that would almost work over damp string, and something that needs to work as a transmission line for what we'd once have considered to be radio (IIRC the old VHF TV was lower frequency !)

As already said, some sparkies know how to terminate network cables - but IME far more have no idea, and many of them have no desire to learn. Just like most of you would be "reluctant" to take on someone else's project to connect up and sign off - I've learned to be "wary" when taking on a network job where the sparkies have run all the cables and fitted the sockets and I "just" have to connect up the other end and test them.

B is crossover which is for network wiring..
A is straight through for device to device communication e.g: pc to pc

The fact that the wiring colours have been terminated incorrectly should not be a factor if both sockets have been wired the same.
Would have been true if I hadn't crossed a pair I think. So long as the pairs are together and the same at both ends would have been ok. And I had untwisted the pairs.

In fact A and B colour coding wiring schemes are both equally valid. The important things are to use the SAME standard at both ends of the cable and especially to keep each of the pairs of colour matched wires twisted up to the point where they are connected. A simple cable tester tests DC continuity but not that the wire pairs are correctly matched (e,g Orange+White stripe must pair with White+Orange stripe etc. If they are not matched the cable will not work.

If you wire to the A standard at one end and B standard at then other end you have a "cross over" cable. Just to add to the fun - many computer devices (especially network switches) can detect a crossover cable and compensate for it.

There is no distinction between data and any other use for Cat5/Cat 6 cables. Telephone wiring is less critical and uses different colours (but can be passed over CAT5/6 cabling)

[I am a (retired) computer network designer]

In fact A and B colour coding wiring schemes are both equally valid. The important things are to use the SAME standard at both ends of the cable and especially to keep each of the pairs of colour matched wires twisted up to the point where they are connected. A simple cable tester tests DC continuity but not that the wire pairs are correctly matched (e,g Orange+White stripe must pair with White+Orange stripe etc. If they are not matched the cable will not work.

If you wire to the A standard at one end and B standard at then other end you have a "cross over" cable. Just to add to the fun - many computer devices (especially network switches) can detect a crossover cable and compensate for it.

There is no distinction between data and any other use for Cat5/Cat 6 cables. Telephone wiring is less critical and uses different colours (but can be passed over CAT5/6 cabling)

[I am a (retired) computer network designer]

There's (from memory) EIA 258A which splits all the pairs but makes sense for multi-line phones. Then there's EIA 258B which is the same layout as EIA 568A which makes sense for data connections.
I must correct myself here - not bad for a first post eh :oops: Teach me to spout off from memory before the first coffee of the day.

258A (and it's an AT&T standard rather than TIA/EIA) doesn't split the pairs, I'm thinking of another standard whose number I don't recall offhand - and strangely can't find either. AT&T 258A is the same as TIA/EIA 568B which is by far the most commonly used in the computer/networking world. TIA/EIA 568A is the same as 568B except that the orange and green pairs are swapped around. It doesn't matter whether 568A or 568B is used - as long as it's the same at both ends. There is a tiny difference in that the twist rate of the pairs is different, which makes the electrical length of the pairs very slightly different - but I can't think of any situation where that would make any difference.

It's splitting the pairs that does the harm - using one wire from one pair with one wire from a different pair. It'll work for low frequency and DC (as used by the basic 5 led test units) - but it won't work for high frequency data like ethernet.

As an aside, it does cause problems in the telecom world - simply because the runs are so much longer. A few jobs ago we had an office in Milan with a Frame Relay link back to us (at head office). The link was unreliable and we sent a considerable amount shipping out a spare router, getting the other one tested (no fault), and so on. Eventually the telecoms company ran some longer tests and found a split pair in the service - once that was fixed we had no more problems.

That is not true, however you can make a crossover by wiring to "A" at one end and "B" at the other. If you wired the sockets A to A or B to B either would work.

Actually, traditionally ...
Device-switch/hub requires a straight through cable as switches/hubs have their ports connected in crossover pinout (MDI-X). Device-device needs a crossover cable as a straight through cable would connect transmit-transmit and receive-receive. Switches/hubs usually had a switch so one port could be set to device mode (MDI-II) for connecting to another switch/hub.
Well that used to be the case, it generally isn't these days. To start with, gigabit uses all 4 pairs - switching ports between transmit and receive as required. But before that, for many years, devices have increasingly had auto detection and correction (auto MDI-X) which would just take care of it. Still not 100% universal, but I think few people will need to worry about it now.

Interesting, I've never seen blue and brown pairs crossed - they've always been wired straight through. In the context of Ethernet, crossover makes no sense for gigabit, and slower speeds (100M and 10M) only use the 1-2 and 3-6 pairs which are crossed over if you wire one end to 568A and the other to 568B.
If you are using the commonest arrangements of PoE, then you really do not want to cross over the 4-5 and 7-8 pairs as then you swap + and - for your power supply. That will at best "just not work", at worst it will let the magic smoke out of your equipment :eek:

POE you want standard B wiring, I have 3 or 4 POE switches as well as a Hikvision NVR, once the house project kicks in I will invest in a decent Cisco Switch.

Reply to Ethernet point no internet in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock