Discuss EU banning Halogen bulbs! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Despite banning old filament bulbs and telling us all to use these halogen ones instead, the politburo and EU dictatorship have decided that we should now only use LED lamps and have banned halogen ones...
EU will ban halogen bulbs at the end of the month making lighting our homes TWICE as expensive | Daily Mail Online - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6049349/EU-ban-halogen-bulbs-end-month-making-lighting-homes-TWICE-expensive.html

I have a friend who runs his dads convenience/discount store in Bristol and has a supply of the old bulbs still, he is importing them from India and customs haven't stopped so much as a single one. Would love to see the headline if he ended up in court, daft thing is he would likely end up getting longer than if he smuggled drugs!

100w filament bulbs were supposed to be banned a couple of years ago, but easy to find and buy..
In part because they were allowed to flog old stock, so companies such as wholesalers and discount stores imported and stockpiled loads of them. One Chinese company i recall imported half a million of them before the supposed ban and flog them still now under the old stock rules.

another reason why i voted out. we are perfectly capable of banning inefficient light bulbs ourselves, without johnny foreigner unelected brussels sprout bureau rat telling us what to do. any way. they can't understand basic principals of physics. OK, halogens produce heat, nobody disputes that, but this heat is not wasted. it warms the room/s so that less energy is used by the heating system/s. like a 3kW kettle vs a 1kW kettle. to boil the water takes exactly the same amount of electricity in both. basic law of physics. it's just that the 3kW does it in 1/3 of the time.

Yeh but that wont affect us we are out of the EU. I wonder if that applies to cars and torches as well. Anyway I use incandescent filament lamps and candles.

Yeh but that wont affect us we are out of the EU. I wonder if that applies to cars and torches as well. Anyway I use incandescent filament lamps and candles.
The UK were one of the countries pushing for it to reduce energy consumption and just because we are leaving, all the rules will now come into UK law under the great repeal bill or something like it. until revoked, which is unlikely due to the green agenda that now prevails.

EU-ban-halogen-bulbs-end-month-making-lighting-homes-TWICE-expensive
Last i checked the cost of running the LEDs was less, i thought it was the bulbs that were more expensive. Anyway Phillips sent me a replacement for free when one i bought in the early days started flashing, so I'm quid in so far. Yes there's a higher up front cost but overall it saves money. We can use the saved electric to charge all our electric cars;)
. any way. they can't understand basic principals of physics. OK, halogens produce heat, nobody disputes that, but this heat is not wasted. it warms the room/s so that less energy is used by the heating system/s. l
since switching to LEDs has anyone had to fit electric radiators on the ceiling that run all year round?
Lighting is an uncontrolled heat source, far better to use a gas boiler with all the fancy controls. Less likely to need air conditioning with LEDs!:p

Bundesarchiv_Bild_147-0510%2C_Berlin%2C_Lustgarten%2C_Kundgebung_der_HJ.jpg
we want be do this next year .;) this small island will stand up to any country that mess with us .

Last edited:
Blaming the EU for this the phasing out of high energy consumer products
It just goes to show how much that organisation gets blamed for policies that all of us (especially electricians)we should embrace even more than the general population

Its not a EU issue,its a habitable planet survival issue

Those who wail and scoff at these minuscule attempts to control energy use in the face of possible enormous future catastrophy
They would be better embracing the efforts do control energy use wherever those policies may have been formulated

Lighting is and has developed,it will continue to change and new products will take the place of less efficient older products,there is nothing controversial about bringing in legistlation to assist that change

Just as a footnote,the future may even see a incandescent lamp become more efficient than present day Leds
The problem of heat loss has been overcome in the lab

This type of lamp may evenreturn with a vengance

like a 3kW kettle vs a 1kW kettle. to boil the water takes exactly the same amount of electricity in both. basic law of physics. it's just that the 3kW does it in 1/3 of the time.

A 1kW kettle of similar design uses more electricity to boil the same quantity of water and takes more than 3x the time that a 3kW kettle takes.

Halogens are bloody awful things anyway.

As for Quoting the Daily Fail as a source......

I just got more kittens from my daily mail blocker. :)

Reply to EU banning Halogen bulbs! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net