Discuss European Electrical standards? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Web84

-
Reaction score
Right, Ive had a request from a customer about inspecting/testing a site in Netherlands. They own 7 sites across the UK and the Netherlands site seems to be on their block insurance which specifies PAT testing and fixed wiring testing.
I've looked online but have been unsuccessful in finding the local standards.
The customers line is that if there are no specific requirments in the Netherlands they would like us to attend to inspect to UK standards (haven't decided exactly how that will work yet either!!)
Any advice on where I could track down relevant information?

A forum like this one, but based in the Netherlands maybe? Someone will point you in the right direction I would imagine.

Right, Ive had a request from a customer about inspecting/testing a site in Netherlands. They own 7 sites across the UK and the Netherlands site seems to be on their block insurance which specifies PAT testing and fixed wiring testing.
The customers line is that if there are no specific requirments in the Netherlands they would like us to attend to inspect to UK standards (haven't decided exactly how that will work yet either!!)
Might be a problem testing as the cable and methods are different from the UK and of course BS7671 doesn't apply.
Maybe your customer could point you in the direction of a Electrical contractor from the Netherlands for advice, he may have to eat some humble pie, but that's the only way I can see to glean some information from, don't know if they have an Embassy or Consulate over here you could try. Good luck anyway

I know but I want an all expenses trip to Rotherham!!! lol.
I Just thought that if there was no specific standard in the Netherlands, we would carry out a visual inspection of the site with reconmendations and source contractors whilst there (i dont know why they cant do it buy if they are prepared to pay me to go our there who am I to protest!)
I think the main objective is to prove they are a competentent employer and comply with their uk insurance companies request. From what I understand the site is only a few years old so wouldnt expect many problems.

they didn't say anything. Its in the small print of my policy. It didnt look like employees liability covers them abroad tho so will jave to do on my own!

You will need to inspect in accordance with NEN 1010-2015 which is the Dutch version of IEC 60364. BS7671 is our implementation of the CENELEC standard, so there is some common basis to both, but the two countries have historically had very different materials and methods and therefore NEN 1010 differs significantly from what you are used to. Applying BS7671 to a Dutch installation will give you a lot of headaches!

You can employ one of the local electricians which will give you all the certificates and you can pass it to the customer and you'll enjoy the trip without worrying about it.

Reply to European Electrical standards? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock