Discuss European Sockets in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Resu

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, my mum runs a B&B and has a lot of issues with European guests forgetting adapters, etc. and was wondering if fitting a European socket in the house would be ok? I'm yet to confirm the actual voltage in her house but can't see anything wrong otherwise? She's provided adapters in the past but these have all disappeared!

Found this and was wondering if anyone has fitted anything similar?

Cheers

It's an interesting question, this. Gimme 10 with my head in the book.

Personally I wouldn't install these in the UK. We use MK euro sockets for jobs overseas but always have to sign a declaration that they aren't being used in the UK. Another to thing to think about is the double pole protection required for these outlets.

IMO she would be better buying adaptors in bulk and selling them to the guests.

511 Suggests that it would be fine, so long as the level of safety is no lower than the applicable British Standard. So, make sure you get Earthed Schuko's and I guess you'll be fine.

Personally I wouldn't install these in the UK. We use MK euro sockets for jobs overseas but always have to sign a declaration that they aren't being used in the UK. Another to thing to think about is the double pole protection required for these outlets.

IMO she would be better buying adaptors in bulk and selling them to the guests.

You can get DP switched schuko outlets, but then you can also install el-cheapo UK outlets that are only SP.

Never seen one that has been switched lol. What I'm referring to is double pole protection at the consumer unit due to the fact of polarity.

I'll look into earthed "Schukos" with DP switches but Sintra might be onto something with the buying in bulk & selling idea. Least then she'd be covered should something go wrong!

Plugging an appliance into a proper Schuko socket is safer than using a travel adaptor in a UK socket, because most travel adaptors are poorly made and offer erratic contact and sometimes no earthing.

Don't forget that some European countries use plugs that will not fit a Schuko socket, although many portable appliances will have a 2-pin Euro plug that will fit any European socket. Schuko (with the side earth contacts) is the most universal.

double pole protection at the consumer unit due to the fact of polarity.

Why?

I guess the polarity issue is taken care of within the appliance, and also that when they are earthed plugs (but they're not normally fitted on the type of items a traveler is likely to have) then they are polarised by default.

also that when they are earthed plugs (but they're not normally fitted on the type of items a traveler is likely to have) then they are polarised by default.

Not in the case of Schuko which is 100% reversible, nor Italian which has the earth pin in the middle. Other European types have an offset earth pin (e.g. Swiss, Danish) or receptacle (French) so they are polarised. Schuko was designed when many German SP supplies were derived from 220V delta, both lives were lines so there was no point in polarising.

Not in the case of Schuko which is 100% reversible, nor Italian which has the earth pin in the middle. Other European types have an offset earth pin (e.g. Swiss, Danish) or receptacle (French) so they are polarised. Schuko was designed when many German SP supplies were derived from 220V delta, both lives were lines so there was no point in polarising.

OK.... I'm learning things now! I thought Schuko/Euro (as in, 2 x round pins) were basically one and the same?

Schuko stands for Schutz-Kontakt i.e. Protective Contact, and refers to the two earthing contacts at the side of the socket that grip two metal strips in the plug. A 2-pin socket without these is not a Schuko socket.

For lots more info see Oof Oud's excellent website:Museum of Plugs and Sockets: home page

You could be in trouble doing what you suggest, we buy 110v sockets from MK and have to confirm in writing where and how they are installed, remember the continentals wire their sockets differently to us no RFCs over there, mostly DP RCBOs and the likes

You could be in trouble doing what you suggest, we buy 110v sockets from MK and have to confirm in writing where and how they are installed, remember the continentals wire their sockets differently to us no RFCs over there, mostly DP RCBOs and the likes

I'm taking it for granted that the OP would only fit these on a fused spur regardless. And it's not 110, it's 230V 'standardised' across Europe.

Yet to confirm the voltage in her house ......can you explain this a bit please

Correct me if I am wrong but across the UK the voltage ranges above and below the 240v mark. My thoughts being she might have been better off had it been nearer 230v, therefore closer to 220v. I have measured a voltage of 254v in a domestic property not far from her house (was reported).

The official voltage rating in the uk is 230v + or - 10% so you can actually get between 207v to 253v but as most of us know it's pretty much hovering around the 240v as it has for years

Reply to European Sockets in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net