Discuss EV charger installation: RCD requirements in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
This has been discussed before but I'm still not clear and would appreciate input.

I'm installing a home EV charger (Andersen A2) and need to decide on the right RCD/RCBO to terminate the connection at the CU.

- The system will run at 32A, the charger is connected to the CU via ~20m of 6sqmm SWA cable
- The charger includes a type AC RCD (BG CUR4030 https://www.bgelectrical.uk/public/downloads/data-sheets/devices/circuit_protection_RCDs.pdf)
- The car is a BMW i3 - though I cannot find specs regarding max residual current for it and the charge point should be future proof for other cars as well
- The house has a standard PME connection

My understanding is that I need a type B RCD at the CU to protect against potential DC residual currents. Correct?
- Most chargers seem to come with a type A RCD, not AC - will an upstream type B also protect against pulsated residual DC current?
- What about 'type EV' RCDs (e.g., RCCBs-Type 'A EV' - http://www.doepke.co.uk/rcd/rcd-EV.html) - seem to be similar to type B?
- Do type B RCDs come as RCBO versions - most 'type B' RCBOs seem to refer to the MCB function...?

Thanks!

The charger would normally incorporate the rcd protection. The manufacturers instruction/specification clause!!
Personally i would use a 40amp MCB and swa. With some makes you are better to use a Type C MCB.
Have the rcd aspect at the charger is most practical, Having a rcd at each end can be a 50/50 which would trip first.
As for PME can be used in some very defined cases but as of Tuesday and 18th a Rod is mandatory.
Do have to ask though are you an electrician or installing this yourself?
Some of your phrases make me think you are not an electrician so am reluctant to give too much info for now.
Quite a few forms to fill in and people to notify, DNO, Building Control, if OLEV then them and DVLA

Thread re-opened.

To clarify the situation.... the OP is neither a DIYer or an electrician, and is seeking clarification because they have received conflicting information from different sources.

I have read the tech details for the andersen chargers and you will likely find that it will change in the next week or so. As there has been some clarification in the 18th edition for EV chargers.
i have been speaking to EV:Box before christmas to find out what if any changes they are making.
Most brands if they havent already are swapping the cheaper type A rcd's out and installing B rcd/rcbos in the units unless there is some fancy electrics inside that detect the DC faults. This is why Rolec are upping the prices by between £100 and £150 per charger.
this article will tell you all you need to know.
EV charging and RCD selection - https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/ev-charging-and-rcd-selection
If you do get the Andersen unit then unless I am mistaken the install is done in house by themselves so they take responsibility for the suitability and compliance of the charger and sign it off to meet the regs. OLEV who oversee these things for the government are quite strict so if it didn't comply come Jan 1st 2019 then rest assured it would loose its OLEV accreditation very quickly.

The op says he is installing the EV charger. There’s lots of muddled unclear info in all the posts. I’d suggest the OP just find an OLEV approved contractor to do the work. If your questioning what they say, why is that?

Is the charger to charge a vehicle outside? If so you can’t connect up to a PME earthing system.

‘Just sticking a rod in’ won’t do and as of 1 January rules change again with 18th edition.

Thanks all. I've read the Voltimum article. From that I understand that I need a type B or type EV RCD upstream, given that the charger itself has an AC-type.

I've been advised that I only need a type A upstream - hence my question.

I already have the Andersen unit (not under OLEV) and would like to confirm requirements before contracting the install.

Thanks!

Thank for the suggestion, I've emailed BMW for advice now.

Is the charger to charge a vehicle outside? If so you can’t connect up to a PME earthing system.

‘Just sticking a rod in’ won’t do and as of 1 January rules change again with 18th edition.

So you're saying PME-connected homes cannot have outside chargers at all? Can you clarify or elaborate on your rationale - that is inconsistent with many existing installations, discussions in this forum and elsewhere an indeed my understanding of the 18th edition.

Thank for the suggestion, I've emailed BMW for advice now.

So you're saying PME-connected homes cannot have outside chargers at all? Can you clarify or elaborate on your rationale - that is inconsistent with many existing installations, discussions in this forum and elsewhere an indeed my understanding of the 18th edition.
Previously people were installing chargers on PME systems without much thought. then you could still do so subject to certain caveats or as a last resort if say a rod was not practical.
Under the 18th unless you buy some very expensive voltage monitoring kit then you can not put the EV charger on PME. The 18th Edition kicked in today (01/01/2019) have a read of The impact of the 18th Edition (BS 7671:2018) – Sections 722, 753 and [new] 730 - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/66/the-impact-of-the-18th-edition-bs-76712018-sections-722-753-and-new-730/
either way you may tell the electrician what you want and they will then tell you what can and cant be done from the regulation side, afterall they are signing it off.

Reply to EV charger installation: RCD requirements in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock