Discuss EV charging point course? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Chris

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been asked to install an EV charging point for a friend who doesnt have an electric vehicle but would like either a cable ran in or a charging point installing to future proof his home.

My local training centre runs a course for EV points and I was wondering if the course is something you need to pass before installing a charger or its just a how-to guide. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi all,

I have been asked to install an EV charging point for a friend who doesnt have an electric vehicle but would like either a cable ran in or a charging point installing to future proof his home.

My local training centre runs a course for EV points and I was wondering if the course is something you need to pass before installing a charger or its just a how-to guide. Any ideas? Thanks.
To future proof his home? rich is he?

You dont need to do a course. Its no different to installing a cu in a shed. Put it on a rod. You need to notify both building control and the DNO.
You learn little on these courses. You are better off contacting the companies such as rolec and ev box and going on a free training day.
Its quite a bit of money for something he can not yet use. So why not just put a cable in ready so that when the time comes he can have it connected in cu then fixed to the charger. You can out the rod in ready too if you like.

You won't be saving him any money if you do it.
The Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS) currently provides grant funding of up to 75% towards the cost of installing electric vehicle chargepoints at domestic properties across the UK.
BUT
the installer must apply for OLEV authorisation in order to be eligible for the Workplace Charging Scheme and / or the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme.

Hi all,

I would upsell to a full solar panel insulation, green roof, and ground source heat pump......... You lot need lessons.

You won't be saving him any money if you do it.
The Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme (EVHS) currently provides grant funding of up to 75% towards the cost of installing electric vehicle chargepoints at domestic properties across the UK.
BUT
the installer must apply for OLEV authorisation in order to be eligible for the Workplace Charging Scheme and / or the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme.
The homeowner in this case wouldnt get the £500 subsidy as he hasnt yet got the electric car! so would not get the discount.

Hum - why the rod ?

If I buy a 13A plug in charger there won't be a rod

How would I notify the DNO?
as unless the dno confirm its tns back to the transformer, which they never do around here you must assume it is pme and 9 times out of 10 its not within the checklist to use the pme so need to put a rod in, come 18th they are all on a rod regardless.

As for notifying DNO there is a form you fill out and send to energy networks association or direct to the dno in your area. they supposedly need to know about the load. seems daft as its no more than an oven

There’s a subsidy for the charge point,as above.
There are also subsidies for the purchase of certain electric vehicles.
These are two separate things.

There are requirements for the grant, one is that the customer either has or has signed a purchase agreemtn to get, a car that is one of the approved vehicles. In this case the customer will not get the grant. This need to be evidenced in the paperwork that goes to the government in order to claim the grant.

There’s a subsidy for the charge point,as above.
There are also subsidies for the purchase of certain electric vehicles.
These are two separate things.

There are requirements for the grant, one is that the customer either has or has signed a purchase agreemtn to get, a car that is one of the approved vehicles. In this case the customer will not get the grant. This need to be evidenced in the paperwork that goes to the government in order to claim the grant.
You dont need to do a course. Its no different to installing a cu in a shed. Put it on a rod. You need to notify both building control and the DNO.
You learn little on these courses. You are better off contacting the companies such as rolec and ev box and going on a free training day.
Its quite a bit of money for something he can not yet use. So why not just put a cable in ready so that when the time comes he can have it connected in cu then fixed to the charger. You can out the rod in ready too if you like.

You don’t need to notify the DNO, you need to ask them if you can install it. And this is only for charge point of 32a or above. This is so that they can keep an eye on the loads for the local network. A 16a unit does not require the DNO to asked if it can be installed.

There is more to it than just sticking a spike in. Paperwork is horrendous.

as unless the dno confirm its tns back to the transformer, which they never do around here you must assume it is pme and 9 times out of 10 its not within the checklist to use the pme so need to put a rod in, come 18th they are all on a rod regardless.

As for notifying DNO there is a form you fill out and send to energy networks association or direct to the dno in your area. they supposedly need to know about the load. seems daft as its no more than an oven

It’s an additional load to the oven on the network supply and more often that not the EV will be used when most people come home from work (which will be from 5pm onwards) and around which time everyone has an oven on!

Reply to EV charging point course? in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net