Discuss EV charging point query in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Andy C

-
Reaction score
I have a nice job on in a few weeks which includes wiring up a solo chargepoint EV point. The pod doesn’t have its own RCD like Rolec do.

I am rewiring the house and intended to use either a type A RCD or RCBO.
As they also detect small levels of DC leakage.

I use BG consumer units but I don’t think they do them.

What are the views of changing one of the general type AC RCDs for another type A make or do I go for a whole new board.

Thanks in advance.

The manufacturer suggests using a type B RCD.
It may be best to install a separate enclosure with a type B RCD to protect the EV point.
To install a different manufacturers RCD in a BG board is not really ideal and definitely more prevalent in the current regs as a non permitted option.

The manufacturer suggests using a type B RCD.
It may be best to install a separate enclosure with a type B RCD to protect the EV point.
To install a different manufacturers RCD in a BG board is not really ideal and definitely more prevalent in the current regs as a non permitted option.
The manufacturers installation instructions are 2017 and out of date, they apparently quote regs that don’t exist. They suggested that the pod,point could be fitted using the TNCS system. Whereas I understood it had to be a TT Island in this case.

I will probably go for a different board as I wanted to keep the board neat with the circuit supply in the dB.

The Rolec stuff looks much better but the client has already bought the charge pod.

The best source of rcds or rcbos for ev chargers is rolec. They are between 15 and 20 quid depending which wholesaler you go to. Give them a call and they will give you the product code to use in the wholesalers.
Can put one in an enclosure adjacent to cu to supply the charger fed via a unprotected mcb. Not familiar with chargepoint as i only install rolec or evbox. Both have integrated protection.
Out of interest what mcb do they recommend for the chargepoint units?
Some makes recommend type c over type b.

I have a nice job on in a few weeks which includes wiring up a solo chargepoint EV point. The pod doesn’t have its own RCD like Rolec do.

I am rewiring the house and intended to use either a type A RCD or RCBO.
As they also detect small levels of DC leakage.

I use BG consumer units but I don’t think they do them.

What are the views of changing one of the general type AC RCDs for another type A make or do I go for a whole new board.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there

In the new wiring regs you can’t swap and change the breakers or RCD with different makes unless you become the “manufacturer “ and can certify them as fit for purpose as mixed suppliers.

You will have to buy a full board by another manufacturer with type A installed such as Hager do as standard now or install a separate board with main switch and an rcbo

Reply to EV charging point query in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock