Discuss Evening Sparkies - Introduction in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Shane Mullan

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Just to introduce myself - another newbie here.

At 25 I have just enrolled at my local college to do the evening courses over 3 years (Lvl 1, 2 and 3).

Having spent some time phoning around local electricians in my area, no one seems to want to let me lend a hand for free! Seems like one of those situations where you need to have the experience to get your foot in the door… but need to have your foot in the door to gain the experience.

From reading other member’s suggestions, I am going to put a flyer up in some of the electrical retailers, if they’ll let me.

I only hope it gets easier once I have the qualifications under my belt, it just seems so long away!

Anyway, since finding this forum I have found it very helpful, so a big thank you and a big hello to you all!

Shane

Lord the sea is so vast and my boat so small. Keep rowing as you are and you will get there. Welcome.

A well worded notice in your wholesalers is how I got started. It only takes that one spark to be short handed on a new rewire, to see that notice and make that call. It only takes one, you prove yourself in your work with enthusiasm and then that one turns into a reference for the next then it doesn't stop and you wonder whether you'll ever get a holiday!
Welcome to the forum, keep reading the experiences of these established sparks.

Thanks everyone for your words of welcome!

Rpa - Next step is to research my local wholesalers. I used to wonder whether I would ever get a holiday, but that was whilst doing jobs which I hated doing!

Dave - that's probably a very valid point! Would the insurance issue be overcome with a CSCS/ECS card?

You have to give them as much as you can to catch their eye. CSCS/ECS shows that you are investing in what you want to do. Own tools shows that you 'might' know how to use them and won't be constantly asking for a screwdriver! Own transport means they don't have to pick you up from out of their way each morning etc etc but you still have to be succinct on the card as Sparks attention span is . . . .

Thanks Rpa! Do I need both cards or just 1? In Bedford we only have a CSCS centre, I wouldn't mind travelling to do my ECS assessment if this card is better, or if I'd need both, I'm certainly dedicated.
I'll work on getting some of my own tools.

Dave - that's probably a very valid point! Would the insurance issue be overcome with a CSCS/ECS card?

No, that won't help with insurance.
My own insurance covers me, employees and bona-fide subcontractors, it doesn't cover volunteers.

We had someone working with us for free a few weeks ago, it was a nightmare as being a volunteer meant he dictated his own hours, only did what he wanted to do rather than what we needed him to do, and cost us time and money in overseeing his work.

ECS is electrotechnical so if site work is to be done ECS will allow you to work in that area. CSCS will let you push barrows all the live long day!

Reply to Evening Sparkies - Introduction in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net