Discuss Exactly When can you call yourself an "Electrician" in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm sure this question has been asked before but it's one that has always puzzled me.

I know some people say you aren't officially an electrician until you get your Level 3/AM2 however I've heard guys who only have C&G level 2s but have worked on domestic sites for years call themselves electricians.

Basically is it down to your quals or down to your experience? Or maybe a bit of both haha

Cheers

Experience, Experience, Experience! Id say 5 years after getting your NVQ 3

Id never call someone with just their level 2 an electrician, kind of makes the whole point of the qualifications pointless.

answer ,you are not a spark until you are the write qualifications .
because if you can make bread does not mean you are a baker ,and the list goes on .I can knock a nail in does it mean I'm a joiner.

Managers where I used to work called Blokes with BS7671 updates Electricians, mind you 100% of these Managers couldn't to find the Lavvy without ask for help.

JIB grade people as Electricians and that means something to most employers. Certainly does where I work.

You can call yourself what you like though, Electrician is not a protected term.

I'm think we've had a similar thread recently and it may have been Spinlondon that stated a definition that if you are getting paid for carrying out electrical works you can call yourself an Electrician...

answer ,you are not a spark until you are the write qualifications .
because if you can make bread does not mean you are a baker ,and the list goes on .I can knock a nail in does it mean I'm a joiner.
What's that Buzz Write your own qualifications? note to oneself pack inavin ago at BL it's not nice, but all in fun no harm intended, I love you Buzz your bad spelling makes my day, I'm easily pleased by the way :tongue:

Yeah I was going to say that I can imagine sometimes an electricians mate of 10 years + who never did his level 3 would be more of an electrician than someone who has done little other than his full quals. I'm only learning myself though so I don't know the score really!

Reply to Exactly When can you call yourself an "Electrician" in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net