Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Exactly When can you call yourself an "Electrician" in the Electrical Courses & Electrical NVQ's area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Martgj90

Martgj90 EF Member

I'm sure this question has been asked before but it's one that has always puzzled me.

I know some people say you aren't officially an electrician until you get your Level 3/AM2 however I've heard guys who only have C&G level 2s but have worked on domestic sites for years call themselves electricians.

Basically is it down to your quals or down to your experience? Or maybe a bit of both haha

Cheers

2. mossep

mossep Regular EF Member

Experience, Experience, Experience! Id say 5 years after getting your NVQ 3

Id never call someone with just their level 2 an electrician, kind of makes the whole point of the qualifications pointless.

• Like Like x 1
  3. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

answer ,you are not a spark until you are the write qualifications .
    because if you can make bread does not mean you are a baker ,and the list goes on .I can knock a nail in does it mean I'm a joiner.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    Managers where I used to work called Blokes with BS7671 updates Electricians, mind you 100% of these Managers couldn't to find the Lavvy without ask for help.

• Like Like x 2
  5. TJ Anderson

TJ Anderson Forum Mentor

JIB grade people as Electricians and that means something to most employers. Certainly does where I work.

You can call yourself what you like though, Electrician is not a protected term.

I'm think we've had a similar thread recently and it may have been Spinlondon that stated a definition that if you are getting paid for carrying out electrical works you can call yourself an Electrician...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Pete999

Pete999 Forum Mentor

Business Name:
    None
    What's that Buzz Write your own qualifications? note to oneself pack inavin ago at BL it's not nice, but all in fun no harm intended, I love you Buzz your bad spelling makes my day, I'm easily pleased by the way :tongue:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Archy Styrigg

Archy Styrigg Forum Mentor

I believe that the etymology of Electrician is a Magician with electricity.
    Having seen some of the appalling installations that have been posted on here recently, some people certainly are magical in the way that they can turn electrical crap into cash!

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. SJD

SJD Forum Mentor

Or maybe when your membership cheque to NICEIC is cashed?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. littlespark

littlespark Electrician's Arms

Being able to connect up a socket doesn’t make you an electrician. It hardly makes you a plumber, but they do try....

• Like Like x 1
  10. SparkdogMillionaire

SparkdogMillionaire New EF Member

I would say as a minimum once you have achieved the criteria to get yourself a JIB gold card, but then again, experience and knowledge can often trump quals!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Martgj90

Martgj90 EF Member

Yeah I was going to say that I can imagine sometimes an electricians mate of 10 years + who never did his level 3 would be more of an electrician than someone who has done little other than his full quals. I'm only learning myself though so I don't know the score really!

12. sam400

sam400 Regular EF Member

I’ve got a JIB gold card but it’s got ‘Electrical chancer’ written on it,

• Like Like x 1