Discuss excessive earth loop impedance on final circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

AmeliePoulain

Hi. This seems like a newbie question but please help.
Received the test results with an 'excessive earth loop impedance' on one final circuit. Circuit originates with a 32A MCB and serves 10 socket points. Wiring is 2x2.5mm live, 2x2.5mm cpc. Max Zs = 0.72 Ohm. r1 (line) = 1.68, rn (neutral) = 1.67, r2 (cpc) = 0.44, R1+R2 = 0.74, maximum measured earth loop fault impedance = 0.89.
Checked wiring and connections - seems ok. Made some silly measurements on one of the sockets: With disconnected MCB measured current of 30mA between Neutral and Earth with 2.09V potential and 16M Ohm resistance. N - L 0A 0.07V, E - L 0A 2.02V.
Should I replace the sockets, rewire the whole lot or what else could it be?
Thanks in advance!
Michael

both r1 and rn are high compared with r2. looks like poor connections in socket/s to me.

You say you've checked connections, two things could be

1. Loose connection somewhere out of sight. Hidden JB maybe

2. Although connections look good some may be screwed into the insulation as oppose to the bare copper. I've done that a few times.

What is the Ze? Not necessarily a lot wrong with that figure. r2 looks small -parallel path? Or are r1 and rN high for the length of the circuit?
What is on the sockets can you not just put a type B mcb on and that would be 1.44Ω

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have an idea of the order of sockets on the ring final, initially just link one line and cpc like you would for a radial, leaving everything else open.
Let's assume your measured r2 was a valid result, so unless you have some parallel paths, your measured r1 should also be in the order of 0.44 Ohms.

So, treating this as a radial you would expect to measure no more than (0.44+0.44) = 0.88 Ohms at any socket.
Looking at your measured r1, it is about 1.2 ohms higher than expected.

So unless there are multiple loose connections, I'd go round until your (R1+R2) suddenly jumps up by over an Ohm.
If you're really lucky, the loose Neutral will be at the same place.
Otherwise, repeat the same test substituting neutral for line.

Then do the ring final test to prove everything once you've located and rectified the fault.

Simon.

If the r1 and rn figures are within 0.01 Ohms then I'd say the r2 reading is benefiting from a parallel earth path.

What is the approximate length of the ring?

I haven't got time to do the calc but you must be looking at about 150M for those readings?

Your 80% maximum value for comparison is actually 0.57 Ohms

As IQ said....r1 and rn are virtually identical which suggests poor conections are unlikely, and this is just an excessively long ring with parallel paths bringing down the r2. Check the legnth of the circuit and calculate an approximate r1 and rn to compare.
A type B may get over it.....or an RCD makes the Zs almost irrelevant. But if this is a new circuit it may have been poorly designed and need improving.

Reply to excessive earth loop impedance on final circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock