Discuss Existing Supplementary Bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm doing a bathroom refurb this week. Today I inspected the existing install. The bathroom only has lighting circuit in it (6A mcb, no RCD protection).

The hot & cold services have supplementary bonding, as does the CH towel radiator. The non electric shower hot & cold service does not have supplementary bonding.

Tested continuity to all these pipes gives a reading of 0.04ohms to local cpc. Regulation 702.415.2, states all extraneous conductive parts shall be connected by supplementary bonding etc.......in accordance with reg 415.2. Using that formula (415.2) gives me a figure of 1.6ohms, less than my 0.04.

My thinking is that these pipes are effectively bonded elsewhere(supplementary, and I forgot to check the airing cupboard :oops:) and therefore the existing supplementary bonding does not require re-attaching. I only ask, as the shower has no visible supplementary bonding, and the towel radiator is being replaced, and the current one has a lovely EC clamp on the lowest bar?

I'm doing a bathroom refurb this week. Today I inspected the existing install. The bathroom only has lighting circuit in it (6A mcb, no RCD protection).

The hot & cold services have supplementary bonding, as does the CH towel radiator. The non electric shower hot & cold service does not have supplementary bonding.

Tested continuity to all these pipes gives a reading of 0.04ohms to local cpc. Regulation 702.415.2, states all extraneous conductive parts shall be connected by supplementary bonding etc.......in accordance with reg 415.2. Using that formula (415.2) gives me a figure of 1.6ohms, less than my 0.04.

My thinking is that these pipes are effectively bonded elsewhere(supplementary, and I forgot to check the airing cupboard :oops:) and therefore the existing supplementary bonding does not require re-attaching. I only ask, as the shower has no visible supplementary bonding, and the towel radiator is being replaced, and the current one has a lovely EC clamp on the lowest bar?
What figures are you using to get your 1.6 ohms Middy

50/30 =1.6
Assuming a 6amp type B mcb
I think that should be 50Volts/ Ia where Ia is the opperating current I delta n of the RCD which will be 50/.03 (30ma) which =1666ohms so anything over 1666 ohms is a lump of metal and less that 1666 ohms should require bonding, or as Chris Kitcher puts it

Last edited:
I think that should be 50Volts/ Ia where Ia is the opperating current Ideltn of the RCD which will be 50/.03 (30ma) which =1666ohms
There’s no 30mA rcd,the lighting in the bathroom is protected by a 6amp mcb type B.
Hence 50volts/30 = 1.666 ohms
Ia in this instance is the minimum fault current to operate the OCPD which in this case is 30 amps.
In x 5 for type B mcbs.

Last edited:

i would imagine that if the hot and cold are supplementary bonded then as long as the pipes are continuous to the shower then they are effectively the same pipework.

There’s no 30mA rcd,the lighting in the bathroom is protected by a 6amp mcb type B.
Hence 50volts/30 = 1.666 ohms
Where does the 30 come from I'm having a brain fade

I think that should be 50Volts/ Ia where Ia is the opperating current I delta n of the RCD which will be 50/.03 (30ma) which =1666ohms so anything over 1666 ohms is a lump of metal and less that 1666 ohms should require bonding, or as Chris Kitcher puts it
Never considered using a IR test to work that out before... learn something every day..

Cant see the relevance....if you are altering/installing bathroom circuits you'll need to provide RCD protection which is likely to negate the need for SB.
He’s maybe just changing the centre light for all we know or maybe hes not?

Cant see the relevance....if you are altering/installing bathroom circuits you'll need to provide RCD protection which is likely to negate the need for SB.

Just replacing like for like luminaires.

If you can imagine, the rest of the refurb is fancy tiling, shower screens, furniture etc. Do I have to put that ec clamp on the bottom of their nice new chrome towel radiator?

Edit, oh and moving extract fan into loft space.

Just replacing like for like luminaires.

If you can imagine, the rest of the refurb is fancy tiling, shower screens, furniture etc. Do I have to put that ec clamp on the bottom of their nice new chrome towel radiator?

Edit, oh and moving extract fan into loft space.
Therefore if you are altering a circuit in a bathroom then RCD protection is required.

if you cant put a rcd in c/u put one outside the bathroom .
You could put one in front of the CU, would be easier than faffing with the bathroom circuits, I would think. Still think he is wrong to use the 30 Amps in his calculations. In the video CK is using 10ma as quoted in GN3 not a current that operates an RCD 230/.01 (10ma)= 2300ohms minus the resistance of the body ohms1000, in that calculation there is not any reference to the operating current of any OCPD, only referring to GN3.

Reply to Existing Supplementary Bonding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock