Discuss Exit fire alarm call point in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Toneyz

We have a door that will be in normal use but is designated as a fire exit, however, there are all glass windows site managers that think they know it all has said "can't it go on the wall some three meters to the left" even if building control accept it I don't think it would comply with the British standard. My gut instinct is you want to be hitting this on exit and is not right and should be mounted upon the metal window frame even if it has a trunking surface down to it. Interested in your views.

upload_2018-10-10_20-38-6.png
It is the exit on the right they have said about putting it on the wall on the top R.H.S. will try to take a photo when back on Friday.

BS5839 recommends call points should be located at all final exits from a building. Additionally, a person should not have to travel more than 45M to a call point in a building.

As an M&E building services designer, I would be happy with 3M. The BS does not state a minimum distance from the actual door.

This is covered by the BS5839-1, I am awaiting my new copy as a new version came out end of last year and I have to design an installation myself, I will thus hold back on quoting the exact regulation.

It is hard to comment from a plan of the building tbh but their is nothing wrong with a frame fixture and if a new build the cables can often be hidden in the hollow frames or by using a neutral colour to contrast the frame if trunking is needed - black trunking does sit well on silver without standing out too much.

I have fitted the CP's away from the doors before but each situation is unique and also it depends on the building, its use etc, sometimes a call point is not even required believe it or not, you find this is pubs where the call point is often located behind the bar and not next to the doors where they are often accidentally or deliberately smashed.

I would suggest you get yourself a copy of the BS5839-1 and 5839-6 if you are actively designing and installing, after Glenfell I have found the reluctance from building control, fire services and other bodies to give written guidance or opinions, this leaves it on to you to be fully converse with the BS5839 and document anything that is verbally agreed with BC or the local Fire Services.

PS - if that reception desk is always manned during opening times then there may not even be a need for a CP at the door, one behind the reception desk may suffice but 3m away is not an issue in my experience although there may be a request to affix an additional sign to make its position clearer if the framework is not an option.

Thanks, good reply interesting points Darkwood not my design always fitted at the door my view is you should be hitting it on leaving the building not deviating.

Reply to Exit fire alarm call point in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net