• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
  • If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Experienced maintenance electrician required full time. in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Small electrical contractor based in Vauxhall London, with a vacancy for a full time experienced electrician to carry out lighting maintenance on buildings throughout London. Immediate start with a van supplied and a steady pay ranging from £16-£18 per hour depending on level of qualifications. An eight hour day Monday - Friday , working with a small but experienced team.
Message me for further details and discussions.

£16-£18hr is pi$$ poor for London...

Very unrealistic offer

I disagree.

This is a full time offer so will include holiday pay, Bank Holidays, probably travel, pension etc.

No overheads to fork out for.

Electricians are two to a penny in London and this job will be filled very quickly I guarantee.

It sounds like a genuine offer,and we do not know the ins and outs...but my natural,cynical leaning,instantly read "Steady pay" as steadily remaining the same,day or night,after 12 hours,7 days a week,and after being there for 5 years...;)

I hope the OP comes along to straighten me out :)

A fair comment,but you could "like" the money at those rates p/h,and very quickly learn to "dislike" it,when asked to do everything and anything,for the same rate.

There are very few jobs,which could be considered generous,with the wage structure,described in only one sentence.

...Unless that sentence is "The sky's the limit..." :)

That's a bit limiting.. Considering you only have to travel about 62 miles before you reach space... Wouldn't "Space is the limit" be better..:)

A fair comment,but you could "like" the money at those rates p/h,and very quickly learn to "dislike" it,when asked to do everything and anything,for the same rate.

There are very few jobs,which could be considered generous,with the wage structure,described in only one sentence.

Very true. Personally I like the variety of having a go at 'everything and anything', but I also like to be appreciated. What I don't like is when you have a go at something and then that becomes part of your job which you're expected to take on along with your regular job, in the same amount of time, for the same money, while there are other people on the same (or more) money who get away with refusing to do anything extra.

A lot of bosses seem to work on the model of getting you to rush around then the more you rush around the more work they give you, then the more outstanding work you have the more pressure they put on you to work faster - they're trying to find out how far they can push you then that becomes your benchmark. It's a common idea of a business model - the business is working perfectly well, but it could be working better so they give it a bit of a squeeze to see what happens; they try to pinch a few pennies here and there because it all mounts up like the story of American Airlines who took one olive out of every salad and saved a fortune, then they push it too far and get a reputation for offering poor value or being a bad employer, the problem being once the customers and experienced staff have left they have to work twice as hard to get back to where they were.

Very true. Personally I like the variety of having a go at 'everything and anything', but I also like to be appreciated. What I don't like is when you have a go at something and then that becomes part of your job which you're expected to take on along with your regular job, in the same amount of time, for the same money, while there are other people on the same (or more) money who get away with refusing to do anything extra.

A lot of bosses seem to work on the model of getting you to rush around then the more you rush around the more work they give you, then the more outstanding work you have the more pressure they put on you to work faster - they're trying to find out how far they can push you then that becomes your benchmark. It's a common idea of a business model - the business is working perfectly well, but it could be working better so they give it a bit of a squeeze to see what happens; they try to pinch a few pennies here and there because it all mounts up like the story of American Airlines who took one olive out of every salad and saved a fortune, then they push it too far and get a reputation for offering poor value or being a bad employer, the problem being once the customers and experienced staff have left they have to work twice as hard to get back to where they were.
It sounds like a genuine offer,and we do not know the ins and outs...but my natural,cynical leaning,instantly read "Steady pay" as steadily remaining the same,day or night,after 12 hours,7 days a week,and after being there for 5 years...;)

I hope the OP comes along to straighten me out :)

Hi as a small business owner who placed the vacancy I have found all the replies very interesting having not used a forum before. The job is genuine and the rate of pay of £720.00 a week with all expenses paid and pension and holidays etc. I was interested in a post concerning company's expecting too many jobs to be carried out in the time given and although you may not here this often from a business owner I totally agree, it may look good on the spreadsheet but the end result is always an unsatisfied client and a demoralised worker and call backs. I am strong believer in allocating enough time to carry out the job properly as losing a client is expensive, and I feel this is the only way to work when you run a small business as you have to work as a team. I also see how many hours worked a day are a concern which I can only assume many electricians have experienced doing more than an 8 hour days but without being financially rewarded for it, again as a small business this will not work for any party involved. So if anyone would like to work for a small company which I feel treats its workers well please do reply.

Thanks
Jon

How to local London sparks live when the rate is around the same as my area which has some of the cheapest housing?

I just don’t know how they make the numbers work.

I’m sure you’re a decent employer, good luck.

How to local London sparks live when the rate is around the same as my area which has some of the cheapest housing?

I just don’t know how they make the numbers work.

I’m sure you’re a decent employer, good luck.

You and your Mrs and young child might be living on lidl 5p bags of noodles because the rest of their wages has gone on Council Tax..Rent.. Congestion Charges..Fuel..Bills..Parking Permits..

London is the most expensive place to live in the UK and one of the most expensive places to live in Europe right now.

A 3 bed flat *near to vauxhall London is £2000 a month £500 a week that's the cheapest I could find £6000 a month being the highest just had a wee look.

I was born in London and from London alot of Londoners moving away because it's to expensive to live.

if i was under 30 again, i'd jump at that job, live in a motor home mon - fri.

Reply to Experienced maintenance electrician required full time. in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back