Discuss exploding shower doors in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Barry White

Yes I said EXPLODING !
Was having a cuppa today at about 11am when I heard what I thought was a firework exploding in my house followed by a sound like a ceiling coming down. Instintivly I run upstairs and found glass on my landing (I feared a firework had smashed my window) then noticed pieces of glass still pinging about. My shower door had exploded its damaged the tray and the bath and flooring too. glass was everywhere even in the bedrooms.
just had a look on google and it seems its not uncommon just glad I wernt in the shower when it happened.

Anyone elses shower door exploded?

Toughened glass has a lot of skin tension which is partly what gives it its strength but when there a flaw or very small crack in the glass the internal stresses do produce spectacular results.

No never heard that before, why did it happen in your opinion?

With tempered glass before its usually its a flaw or small crack that causes a chain reaction but this door had been in use for over 5 years without problem. not noticed any cracks or flaws glass was 8mm thick so very heavy it was the frameless type

With tempered glass before its usually its a flaw or small crack that causes a chain reaction but this door had been in use for over 5 years without problem. not noticed any cracks or flaws glass was 8mm thick so very heavy it was the frameless type
certainely strange, but Marvo's suggestion seems logical and is probably what happened then.

Ive seen it happen to the door of a digger whilst the door was disconnected from the cab, a fitter was welding a handle onto the door this was fine but as soon as he sprayed water over it to cool the metal down the glass exploded

I know exactly how it happened. There is a red faced guy with black hair and lighter coloured rings round his eyes hiding under the glass just above the white bottle on it's side. IT WOZ IM WOT DONE IT.

Glass especially toughened glass can be very unpredictable having worked in a number of glass factories producing different types of glass from 0.5 - 20mm thick seeing how it is handled as it comes off the line was interesting with the odd sheet or few sheets of glass breaking for no apparent reason other than temperature fluctuations in the cooling process then production continuing with no problem.

Toughened glass if it takes a knock to it's edge does become more susceptible to breaking for no apparent reason and this could be what has happened with your shower door flexing over time

My wife works within this type of industry, one of her roles is to compile a file before going to Trading Standards or court. Exploding shower glass doors happen more often than you think. People have been in the shower when it happens!!! No real bad injuries btw, small cuts only.

UNG and others have already explained it extremely well. I noticed that a lot of these happen on a cold morning having a hot shower so temperature is a big factor but it can happen within 2 days or 10 years from being installed?

Any crack, chip or damage to the glass = Get it changed asap.

Reply to exploding shower doors in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock