Discuss Explosion proof fittings in garage pits.. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

bigspark17

-
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone have experience of these fittings. On asking my suppliers they wanted to know if i required zone1 or zone 2 fittings, but were not able to advise me what was what.
The prices are eyewatering!!

Zone 0

Zone 0 is an area in which an explosive atmosphere is present continuously for long periods of time or will frequently occur.

Zone 1

Zone 1 is an area in which an explosive atmosphere is likely to occur occasionally in normal operation. It may exist because of repair, maintenance operations, or leakage.

Zone 2

Zone 2 is a place in which an explosive atmosphere is not likely to occur in normal operation but, if it does occur, will persist for a short period only. These areas only become hazardous in case of an accident or some unusual operating condition.

I would consider it a zone 1 classification due to the possibility of petroleum vapour which will pool in the bottom of the pit as it is heavier than air. If the garage tell you they do not service petroleum fuelled vehicles which is possible pay no heed to them allow for the worst scenario.

I would consider it a zone 1 classification due to the possibility of petroleum vapour which will pool in the bottom of the pit as it is heavier than air. If the garage tell you they do not service petroleum fuelled vehicles which is possible pay no heed to them allow for the worst scenario.

Or if the pits have air extraction, zone 2. The LEV will need to be rated suitably too.

Having the complex qualification is not legally necessary, but in similar fashion to having the 17/18th edition qualification, it would be hard to prove in court if anything went wrong, that a person is competent without it.

the last vehicle pit i worked on the garage owner designed
he wanted explosion proof fixtures.
when he built the pit he installed evac ductwork before he poured the concrete and his fans kept fresh air circulating all the time when he was in the pit. (he was sensitive to fumes)

Having the complex qualification is not legally necessary, but in similar fashion to having the 17/18th edition qualification, it would be hard to prove in court if anything went wrong, that a person is competent without it.
Same as being insured to do work in these areas also.
Most "normal" electrical contracting policies will exclude DSEAR zoned areas.
Those that include it will likely require relevant CompEx qualifications & competence.

Have you a classification drawing showing the zones for this area?
It's all well and good until something happens. Seen many a bad attempt at ex work. If you know how to select the correct equipment for the area and hazard then you are halfway there. Installing it to meet the certification on the equipment is another matter. Then there is the Initial detailed inspection required but you know that already??

Hi thanks for the replies.
I dont belive this scope of works is covered under my insurance. It sounds more of a headache and risk than the job is worth apart from i am the electrical contractor there. But i think i will sub it out, anybody on here do this type of work in reach of mid wales, or reccomend a company that does?

I must admit - I have never heard of compex rated cable. Fittings and glands yes, cable no.

One of the underlying principles of CompEx is that “only suitably qualified persons shall work on the equipment”. That can be as little as a 1/2 day awareness course to show you how to correctly fit and make off a gland. Possibly t

My honest opinion - its a pit in a garage. You will be driving cars or trucks across the top of the pit, with engines running. This in itself is an ignition source. The mechanics will be welding, cutting and grinding in the pit. Again these are ignition sources. The pit itself may be classified as a “confined space” if it is deep enough with the associated asphyxiation risk.

Lots of safety related points to be considered here over and above the original question.

The HSE guidelines (HSG 261) would be a good starting point to consider what is required.

Reply to Explosion proof fittings in garage pits.. in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net