Discuss export meters, just an MCS to fit them? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DomB

Just wondering what people's experience is of fitting export meters. We've put a few in & had no problems but I know some electricity suppliers are insisting on only certain companies fitting their customer's export meter (not 'just' an MCS accredited installer..). Has anyone had any difficulties - especially re G59 installs?

Tanks

From a purely legal point of view the householder is allowed to buy and have an export meter installed by anyone competent. (They can own their own import meter, technically, too.)

But different electricity suppliers have different policies. Some only want a combined import/export meter so this must be fitted via the supplier and DNO. I'm not sure that all these policies meet the letter of the law.

Also there is the time delay in registering the export meter, which the supplier has to do. For some unknown reason they state that this can take up to six months - which is just crazy. Only 50% deemed can get paid in the interim.
This, of course, can't possibly be connected to the fact that suppliers make a bigger profit out of deeming.

The whole metering side of the electricity business is in need of a good shake out.

So it sounds like giving the supplier a headsup first would just iron out the situation. Especially on the larger installations. I know one company is insisting on a particular installer just for the export meter & they charge in excess of £300 for the pleasure, which could make it financially unviable.

Thanks

Reply to export meters, just an MCS to fit them? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net