Discuss Exporting the earth? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not quite sure why the last post got a reference to me as the quote is from "Wiring matters" but it is also from the section regarding using TT system if the garage contains extraneous conductive part i.e. if you make the garage TT then don't connect it to the exported earth from the main building.

Exactly!

regulation 543.4.1 states that in great britain regulation 4 of the electricity, safety, quality and continuity regulations 2002 prohibit the use of pen conductors in the comsumers installation.

it's only a pen conductor up to the service head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sheesh!!!!!!!

Of course I have, why are you having so much difficulty with this?

I have posted links to IET guidance, references to Guidance Notes 8 and 1 but you still can't comprehend it!

You don't understand what a PEN conductor is, and the fact that the S in TN-C-S is referring to the separation of the PEN conductor at the service head!

Please invest in the Guidance Notes if you want to understand these systems and the options open to you as an installer.

Of course I have, why are you having so much difficulty with this?

I have posted links to IET guidance, references to Guidance Notes 8 and 1 but you still can't comprehend it!

You don't understand what a PEN conductor is, and the fact that the S in TN-C-S is referring to the separation of the PEN conductor at the service head!

Please invest in the Guidance Notes if you want to understand these systems and the options open to you as an installer.

And I have have quoted ESQCR regs which prohibit exporting earth of TNC-S system, please read the literature available to you, this is electric basics.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I have have quoted ESQCR regs which prohibit exporting earth of TNC-S system, please read the literature available to you, this is electric basics.

God you're right about the basics, this is killing me!

You quoted a reg regarding PEN conductors in consumers installations-please, before you post anything else, tell me what you understand by the term PEN conductor and how it is relevant to this thread.

Please just do that.

Yes PEN ends at service head, good diversion you have made but the thread is about exporting the earth from a TNC-S system which you believe is plausible but the only proof you have is a publication from 2005 15th edition which uses the terms Direct and Indirect contact, hhhhhmnnnnnnn

Yes PEN ends at service head, good diversion you have made but the thread is about exporting the earth from a TNC-S system which you believe is plausible but the only proof you have is a publication from 2005 15th edition which uses the terms Direct and Indirect contact, hhhhhmnnnnnnn

Diversion? It's the reg that you misinterpret and base this wasted hour on!

I've posted IET meterial that has amended terminology but can you tell me what has changed in the transition to BS 7671:2008 with regard to the topic?

I've also asked you to read Guidance Note 8 and 1 where excellent diagrams are available to help you to understand this subject.

I enjoy a good debate but if you don't understand the topic yet continue to argue, it becomes very one-sided and tedious, please read the Guidance Notes, that is all it will take for you to take a step back and say 'oh, IQ was right all along, he has a grasp of these electrical basics'

Read the Guidance Notes

Diversion? It's the reg that you misinterpret and base this wasted hour on!

I've posted IET meterial that has amended terminology but can you tell me what has changed in the transition to BS 7671:2008 with regard to the topic?

I've also asked you to read Guidance Note 8 and 1 where excellent diagrams are available to help you to understand this subject.

I enjoy a good debate but if you don't understand the topic yet continue to argue, it becomes very one-sided and tedious, please read the Guidance Notes, that is all it will take for you to take a step back and say 'oh, IQ was right all along, he has a grasp of these electrical basics'

Read the Guidance Notes

Why are you being so aggressive?

we have different options and this is a forum for posting people opinions on and thats what we are doing. :)

The problem is, the IET guidance article and Guidance Notes 8 and 1 are not my opinion, they are IET publications.

Whereas you posted that 'ESQCR forbids exporting PME earth', again, implying that this was a fact, when it was actually you not understanding where a PEN conductor ends in an installation.

I don't think any forum members here would describe my posts as agressive, I just like the facts to be recorded ahead of anyones opinion, including my own.

There is no prohibition in either BS7671 or ESQCR on exporting the earth in a TN-C-S installation.
The prohibition has always been fron the DNOs.
Their concern primarily is that installation earthing sytems will become the neutral path in the event of a supply neutral fault.

There is no prohibition in either BS7671 or ESQCR on exporting the earth in a TN-C-S installation.
Their concern primarily is that installation earthing sytems will become the neutral path in the event of a supply neutral fault.

Thats the way I understand it too.

Quite correct but is it also not true that the DNO's consider the chances of that type of fault occurring to be so small that they no longer impose terms other than on the obvious special locations?

the following post is meant to be read in the spirit it is posted.

having been in the trade for a while, when the height of accuracy of resistance measurement was an AVO 7, with a bit of good eyesight you could just about get an accuracy of 1 and a bit ohms, not the zillionth of an ohm we read to now, a caclculator was a slip stickmade by thornton's who now make chocolate, and the only digital equipment was a red led watch, on some boffins drawing board, sketched in pencil, it was usual to TT outbuildings, as most installs were TT anyway . nowadays we have a choice. i only export the earth if the outbuilding has no extraneous metal conductive parts. the dangers inherent having been expained on this thread better than i can. so far nobody has been electrocuted on one of my installs, so i will continue as an old fossil until my legs give way, or goverment increase pensions to a level wherein i can live in the style to which i am accustomed.

Reply to Exporting the earth? in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net