Discuss extending 6mm cables for cookers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rdelectrical

hi a landlord asked me after eicr test which picked up the cooker switch was directly over the hob meaning needed moving he asked if ok to join the cable in the ceiling using a proper junction box and re directing the cable i advised wasnt the best but given its a cottage with mostly stone floors except the kitchen running a new cable the full length of the cottage as a major job i suppose could be done then the property company i was there on behalf started to be funny about paying my bills so have pulled this as a breach of the 17th edition is this correct thanks for any advice

hi a landlord asked me after eicr test which picked up the cooker switch was directly over the hob meaning needed moving he asked if ok to join the cable in the ceiling using a proper junction box and re directing the cable i advised wasnt the best but given its a cottage with mostly stone floors except the kitchen running a new cable the full length of the cottage as a major job i suppose could be done then the property company i was there on behalf started to be funny about paying my bills so have pulled this as a breach of the 17th edition is this correct thanks for any advice

A MF box in the ceiling void, yes. A standard JB, no. It has to be accessible for inspection.

It's either against the Regs or it's not. It's not against the Regs because someone doesn't pay you. That's not really what the Regs are for!:uhoh2:

If you can access the JB afterwards its fine.. For example if its under a floor board that you have removed then just screw the floor board back down.. ITS ACCESSABLE then the next electrician can just unscrew floorboard job done..

If you cant access the joint when all work is finished then you need Maintenance Free ones

As long as the joint is electrically and mechanically sound and you get acces to the box then there is not a regulation to say no you cannot do that

many thanks guys your comments are what i thought the lanlord was ok with this as would be accessable from above its just the property company trying to pull my work the installation was tt i measured the rod found it to be 225 ohms i deemed not stable and should be rectified the property company bod who isnt a spark used another spark who converted it they now saying there was pme block which there was not as it is tt
and i was bigging the job up i hear conflicting things about converting tt to tncs by linking my friend says ok as long as you inform the electricity supplier and ze is ok whats your thoughts on this guys oh and be ware property companies seems there are folk wanting to shaft you at every turn

many thanks guys your comments are what i thought the lanlord was ok with this as would be accessable from above its just the property company trying to pull my work the installation was tt i measured the rod found it to be 225 ohms i deemed not stable and should be rectified the property company bod who isnt a spark used another spark who converted it they now saying there was pme block which there was not as it is tt
and i was bigging the job up i hear conflicting things about converting tt to tncs by linking my friend says ok as long as you inform the electricity supplier and ze is ok whats your thoughts on this guys oh and be ware property companies seems there are folk wanting to shaft you at every turn

You are not allowed to convert tt to a tncs supply. This must be done by your network operator and is usually free.

Just because the Ze is OK you cannot assume the system is suitable for TNCS. The only way is to call the distribution company to check whether or not the distribution system is PME. They will either check their plans and or send someone out and give you the definitive answer and it doesn't cost anything.

You are not allowed to convert tt to a tncs supply. This must be done by your network operator and is usually free.

You'd be amazed how many I see on I&T's where sparks have just put the earth into the neutral henley block! The DNO would likely take action if they found anyone doing it without permission, certain conditions have to be met (staked poles etc.) and I know for a fact in my area, there plenty of places which aren't PME ready

There you go rdelectrical, no conflicting views. It is illegal for an an electrician to attempt to convert any TT to a TNC-S system, and any electrician worth his salt should know this!

guys each and everyone of you are legends i remembered after the post a conversation with my niceic local guy he said the same things hence i was wanting to change the rod i knew i was right many thanks guys

cheers pal this property guy a right piece of work he trying to pull everything ive done cos owes a grand he even tried to quote safety on a job i was fault finding and did no work then this eicr test the fault finding was heating the cylinder stat was in parrellell with the room stat he saying it was the zone valve on the s plan which it wasnt so not wanting to pay
im just trying to do the job properly and you come up against these people isnt there a **** list we can put em on dont know what to do about the linking tt as this would shaft the other electrician

A few points:

# it is illegal to carry out a diy TT to PME conversion. Get the DNO in. It is free in some areas, but round here it's £156

# JB ok if accessible. But why not just crimp and heat shrink (or self amalg)?

# Now the biggy: why is an EICR coding a cooker switch above a hob? Which BS7671 regulation is broken, please?

A few points:

# it is illegal to carry out a diy TT to PME conversion. Get the DNO in. It is free in some areas, but round here it's £156

# JB ok if accessible. But why not just crimp and heat shrink (or self amalg)?

# Now the biggy: why is an EICR coding a cooker switch above a hob? Which BS7671 regulation is broken, please?

I would never code a cooker switch over hob, maybe an observation if it was particularily dirty/greasy, I cannot think of a specicfic reg broken, maybe just good practise or building regs, or some of esc's 'guidance'
Used to be common practise to have an old MK big switch with the outlet dropping straight down to the cooker, many installed in the 60's still in service, also give a handy socket to plug your whisk into when cooking :)

the cooker switch was right in the middle of the cooker just above it i had put on eicr test advice to move it the landlord asked because of the difficulty of running a new cable i suggested moving it by using either mf junction box or an accessable one but because the property guy had started to mess me around with unpaid invoices i refused to do remedial works until he had paid the 2 months outstanding invoices
he got someone else then started pulling my eicr test siting id said it was tt when it was pme which was wrong as it wasnt pme they have done the illegal swap from tt to tncs then said id broken 7671 by saying can join 6mm cable so i sought advice on here as i knew i was right
and you guys have agreed and im very gratefull

There is no requirement in bs7671 for a cooker switch next to or near to the appliance.
Through crimp cables together in switch box , fit blank plate , job done.

Reply to extending 6mm cables for cookers in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net