Discuss Extending cat 5 cable or telephone cable and maintenance free requirements? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I was wondering if the maintenance free requirements (MF) are the same with communication cable as with low voltage supplies? I can't see why they wouldn't be.

The junction boxes for cat 5 cable or telephone cable where you just use the insertion tool have no screws that could come loose but I doubt they are classed as MF. If you need to extend one of these cables and make the join under the floorboards what are your options? My crimping tool has a minimum crimp size of 1mm CSA I believe, I'm sure their are smaller crimping tools but just wondered what you guys do in this scenario?

Cheers.

| RS Pro Cat5e Punch Down Wiring Box, 2 Port, UTP |

Cat5e joint box is what we use at work, although we normally joint in an accessible location so can't comment on your MF requirements - I'm not sure Cat5e would require accessibility as I've never seen a Cat5e cable combust due to loose connections - all that would happen is the connection will be degraded/lost.

Anyhow, I've yet to see a Cat5 termination fail over time without some little scrot pulling with force on the points. It's not the sort of connection that works loose over time so I would say chuck it under the floorboard by all means.

| RS Pro Cat5e Punch Down Wiring Box, 2 Port, UTP |

Cat5e joint box is what we use at work, although we normally joint in an accessible location so can't comment on your MF requirements - I'm not sure Cat5e would require accessibility as I've never seen a Cat5e cable combust due to loose connections - all that would happen is the connection will be degraded/lost.

Anyhow, I've yet to see a Cat5 termination fail over time without some little scrot pulling with force on the points. It's not the sort of connection that works loose over time so I would say chuck it under the floorboard by all means.

That's what I have done so far HT, I just know the time will come when my only option will be to put it under the floorboards, and the thought of that little JB sitting under the floorboards whilst the laminate and furniture get installed neatly and expensively on top, only be told in a years time 'it's stopped working', fills me with dread!

Last edited:
That's what I have done so far HT, I just know the time will come when my only option will be to put it inder the floorboards, and the thought of that little JB sitting under the floorboards whilst the laminate and furniture get installed neatly and expensively on top, only be told in a years time 'it's stopped working', fills me with dread!

Like I say, we've probably got >1000 Cat5e points at work, and a good number have been extended - yet to see one fail through general aging or wear and tear. Only time we need to reterminate is when Johnny decides to pull the patch cable pulling everything with it.

If in the unlikely event one of the cores does fail, with Cat5e you have 4 cores that are unused, so before you have to start digging boards up again you can simply reterminate at each end and use the unused cores leaving the faulty cores unused instead, if that makes sense.

If you want MF joint why not solder it and heat shrink it?

I did consider that Leonard, but for 2 reasons I have have decided against it, firstly my soldering skills are not that great and secondly I am not convinced soldering would be the best method due to the arguments against. This is just one thread which details certain problems best way to "extend" cat5e wire? - AnandTech Forums.

Last edited:
If in the unlikely event one of the cores does fail, with Cat5e you have 4 cores that are unused, so before you have to start digging boards up again you can simply reterminate at each end and use the unused cores leaving the faulty cores unused instead, if that makes sense.

You have 2 unused pairs unless you have a POE installation. I wouldn't use odd cores they are in pairs for a reason

For the arguments sake ,is it possible to tie the new cable to the old one and pull it through to the origin of the old cable so you don't have any hidden joints under the floorboards ?

For the arguments sake ,is it possible to tie the new cable to the old one and pull it through to the origin of the old cable so you don't have any hidden joints under the floorboards ?

This is just a hypothetical question at present leonard. I like to be prepared!

This is just a hypothetical question at present leonard. I like to be prepared!

Can you not get a hobby Steve or get out more in General :computer::wink_smile:

I did consider that Leonard, but for 2 reasons I have have decided against it, firstly my soldering skills are not that great and secondly I am not convinced soldering would be the best method due to the arguments against. This is just one thread which details certain problems best way to "extend" cat5e wire? - AnandTech Forums.

Soldering is just a matter of practice, and there's only one way to do that! It's a skill which will be occasionally useful.

A couple of years ago I was installing some cat6 shielded cable in a museum which would be seeing some serious data traffic. They added three extra points in the last minute and they ended up stopping about 2' short of the data cabinet.
So I soldered them inline, maintaining the twists and wrapping the foil screen back around the joint.
When the professional data monkeys came in later to test it with their fancy super everything under the sun dat tester I was bricking it with all fingers, toes etc crossed.
Thankfully it all passed with flying colours!

There is no electrical requirement for any specific 'maintenance free' joint. However normal punchdown IDC terminations are maintenance free in the sense that they do not need to be, and cannot be, tightened after assembly. They are exceptionally reliable so long as they are of proper make and more importantly, the cable is solid copper. There is some nasty copper-clad-aluminium on the market from cheap brands and one of its problems is that it does not make such reliable terminations. The other requirement for data transmission performance is that the joint box maintains the proper impedance, equivalent to the continuation of the twisted pair. I would not trust cheap boxes to do this and you cannot measure their performance without proper testgear

Data cables can be soldered, and provided the geometry and relative positioning of the pairs is maintained, the joints are slim and the sleeving correct, I would expect to be able to beat the transmission performance of even a decent IDC block. However the result is dependent on the quality of the work, whereas with IDCs the performance should be within spec provided the instructions are followed. I don't recommend separate gel crimps (e.g. Connectors 8A) for high speed data as the crosstalk and impedance matching may be impaired. They are of course excellent for voice circuits etc.

why faff with soldering and tin foil. Just use a jelly crimp and make sure the joint wont be under tension. No need to overthink it with jb and solder...

why faff with soldering and tin foil. Just use a jelly crimp and make sure the joint wont be under tension. No need to overthink it with jb and solder...

As Lucien has said, the physical layout, shape and relative positions along with number of twists and impedance are critical in high speed data traffic.

Can you not get a hobby Steve or get out more in General :computer::wink_smile:

I was about to reply in an equally rude manner Glenn!! But then I realised it was probably a fair point.:D

Edit.. Actually, Come to think of it I remember a time when you virtually lived here! I think there was even a thread started about it.:tongue:

Last edited:
What about terminating the 2 cable ends to plugs and connecting them with a coupler have seen it done before but don't know if it's any better than one of the junction boxes

Reply to Extending cat 5 cable or telephone cable and maintenance free requirements? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net