Discuss Extending Circuits for a side extension in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dalimo

-
Reaction score
Hi,
I have been asked to price for a side extension which will contain a utility room, office, few down lights etc. The house was rewired by another firm 18 months ago, with all the correct paperwork etc and completely renovated. A RFC and lighting circuit have been installed and terminated in the garage (this is to be knocked down when the new extension is built) in preparation for the side extension. The house is detached with concrete floors with the CCU on the other side of the house to where the extension will be.
The client was horrified when I said that if I am to extend the circuits I would want to visually inspect the cables. This would mean rolling back their new carpets, moving wardrobes, beds etc....
Am I being over the top??
The circuits will be tested before modifying to check everything is OK, but was more concerned with how the cables have been installed i.e. proximity to central heating pipes, grouping and any insulation stuffed in during the renovation.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

Many thanks for the replies, perhaps I was a bit over the top.
More of a gut feeling about the whole renovation.....the boiler is in the same cupboard as the CCU, all of its pipes go up, as do all the cables. The CCU labelling is poor, smoke alarms not on a separate RCBO, all the cables have been pushed through one knock out and the trunking is bulging!

not every property will look like it belongs in a ideal home magazine and the electrics wont always look like a ocd freaks wet dream either, you can only work with what you have. the real world is not like a test rig in a training centre.

It might be easier to re-confirm the reading from the original cert and test the existing ring circuit. If that tallies then surely you are good to go?

I have been asked to price for a side extension

The client was horrified when I said that if I am to extend the circuits I would want to visually inspect the cables. This would mean rolling back their new carpets, moving wardrobes, beds etc....
Am I being over the top??

Next please :)

Reply to Extending Circuits for a side extension in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock