Discuss Extending existing swa garden light circuit and adding fittings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Johnny-G

A customer has 2 lights on a 30m circuit in 1.5mm swa which is buried half way round the perimeter of the garden and the lights are spurred off it at the end via Y boxes, they want another 10 lights added.
I would normally use Wiska boxes & earth clamps but they want it as discrete as possible so I'm looking at black enamel conduit boxes which I've never used in this situation before.
How much space is in these things, ie is there enough inside to terminate 4x 1.5mm 3 cores in a 4 way box? Do standard plastic glands fit in the ends like swa glands appear to? & how do you earth the sheath at the end? :)

The only way to do this is.....

1, join cables in a resin filled underground torpedo and bury, test IR and contanuity before pouring resin!!

2, terminate with CW glands into a IP rated adaptable box and fix ABOVE ground

Not buried no and I'm talking about the metal type not the crappy plastic ones.QUOTE]

I was talking about black metal conduit boxes!! PVC conduit boxes are not threaded, not the ones i know of anyway.... And you did state that the SWA cable was buried!!!

For Exterior conduit, you never use the Black stuff, but Galvanised. Personally i would not be using conduit boxes of any type for garden work but purpose made IP rated boxes/enclosures.

Steel conduit boxes, even with a gasket, are not as waterproof as you would think. They really need to be sheltered from rain. It is possible to fit four 5A connectors, but the box needs to be earthed, and you have to be really neat with your wiring. PVC stuffing glands will fit but ensure they all have gasket washers.
You are firmly in part P country here so consider the implications in undertaking this. Also consider galv rather than enamel.

Black galv conduit boxes push fit wago's completely wire test then fill each box up with resin to water proof or use a 3 way under ground joint and bury

You'll be hard pressed to terminate 4 3core cables in one 25mm box. Might be able to crimp some or all of them?
I was looking at 20mm boxes (that's what's in use at the mo) so I guess they're out of the question if 25mm would be cramped
The only way to do this is.....

1, join cables in a resin filled underground torpedo and bury, test IR and contanuity before pouring resin!!

2, terminate with CW glands into a IP rated adaptable box and fix ABOVE ground
Whilst that's the correct way, in this case it might be overkill as the existing terminals are above ground and accessible.
Not buried no and I'm talking about the metal type not the crappy plastic ones.QUOTE]

I was talking about black metal conduit boxes!! PVC conduit boxes are not threaded, not the ones i know of anyway.... And you did state that the SWA cable was buried!!!

For Exterior conduit, you never use the Black stuff, but Galvanised. Personally i would not be using conduit boxes of any type for garden work but purpose made IP rated boxes/enclosures.
The cable ends are easy enough to tap in to and I'll probably use a Wiska box there, it was just how to run all the lights off it without using another 5/6 of them.

or prately boxes with magic gel.

Extending existing swa garden light circuit and adding fittings PRAT08043 - EletriciansForums.net

They come with SWA glands that are integral so you save on the cost of gland packs if your worried about the boxes high price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Possibly, the lights I'm installing come with 2m flex per fitting so I may have to do a bit more measuring to see if it's feasible :)

Even using a 3 way size 0 I'd need 10 minimum which really bumps the price up.

Yes the price may go up but you, as the designer, will be responsible for the installation and signing it off.

If the price goes up simply make sure that the client understands the cost of providing such joints and why, in the long term, the reliability will pay off.

4x4 plastic box ce glands earthnuts inside box seal with raychem blue gell bury box cable marking tape sorted

Reply to Extending existing swa garden light circuit and adding fittings in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock