Discuss Extending ring circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Screwfix sell Wago's 222, 221, Wagoboxes, Spliceline connectors, Pushwire connectors, crimps (not sure if they are barrell type), heat shrink, pretty much everything thats been mention. And in stock on a weekend :)

I wouldn't use them due to the nature of the crimp construction. As you know, typically they are a split tube which is simply pressed into an oval shape when crimped. Usually it's quite a thin wall on the tube and I'm just not convinced they stand up well to the thermal cycling they may experience.

I've certainly tried a variety of crimps on solid cable in the past and not had much joy (various crimp manufacturers and various crimp tools), and I've pulled far too many apart with very little effort that have been installed on sites I've worked on, so I just steer clear and use things like the SpliceLine and Wagos.
I've never had any trouble with correct size installed properly. I can't understand the problem.

I've never had any trouble with correct size installed properly. I can't understand the problem.

Well, all I can say is that why this place is interesting because you get to see a whole range of opinions and experiences.

As I said, I've tried various makes of crimps, various crimpers and never had much success with solid core wiring. Stranded cables yes, but solid no.

These days I just try and avoid insulated crimps unless absolutely necessary (used a couple the other day to fix an LV light in a room at the hotel I've been working at, worked a treat, good strong connections). The only time I generally use crimps is indent crimps for joining big cables and terminating earthing conductors and such like.

Last edited:
I ordered a bunch of smaller CSA indent crimps when I did an order with CPC Farnell - it’s nice to have them on board and have used them on numerous occasions. If I’m ever not quite sure of the hold strength of the insulated I’ve stripped the insulation, soldered and sleeved.
You do what you can do so you never go back (and sleep at night!)

Yes I'd say fine, but as near the top to bottom centre as possible, I'd also go to one side of the notch rather than directly below it, and if you're just running a single 2.5mm cable keep the hole small, 13mm should be plenty.

What is the difference between buying an MK double socket from Screwfix than an electrical wholesaler apart from maybe price?

Are we on that old argument... it get's somewhat tiresome the views some hold about Screwfix. There's nothing wrong with buying electrical gear from Screwfix. They have some great deals and as you say... what's the difference between say MK bought at Screwfix or a wholesaler?

Reply to Extending ring circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock