Discuss Extending ring circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

It's a bit of snobbery I think some think it is for builders and DIYers.The only thing I would say is that they only sell a limited line of electrical items compared with the electrical wholesalers.

It's a bit of snobbery I think some think it is for builders and DIYers.The only thing I would say is that they only sell a limited line of electrical items compared with the electrical wholesalers.
If you are stuck for a back box, a couple of socket outlets, then they are life savers.

Another option would be to pull a leg out of the existing socket and crimp to that under the floor.
Pull a leg from two sockets, ditch the cable, extend the RFC from there no need for crimps, MF JBs just extend the RFC simples really, maybe a bit more work but for a competent electrician a simple and safer job, than crimping cables in back boxes.

Pull a leg from two sockets, ditch the cable, extend the RFC from there no need for crimps, MF JBs just extend the RFC simples really, maybe a bit more work but for a competent electrician a simple and safer job, than crimping cables in back boxes.

Used wago 221 in the back of the backbox rather than junction box under the floor. Easier to access in future.

BF216E02-2607-4C6B-81B4-FCAC8D70852D.jpeg 6692C995-96B8-4BF3-A1EF-35249C651CA9.jpeg
If they are the standard red/blue/yellow crimps, they are not designed for use on solid conductors and do not provide any guarantee of a good, long lasting connection.

For solid cores you should be using uninsulated indent crimps and then the necessary good quality heatshrink sleeving to insulate them.

For extending rings in back boxes I find the Ideal in-line splices are fantastic...

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/ideal-spliceline-in-line-wire-connectors-pack-of-10/42201
Repaired this on a shower circuit today - either poor workmanship or poor crimps.
32 amp 60898 RCD protected 6mm T+E supplying a 8.5Kw Triton so no other reason for thermal damage than high resistance joint.

I once did some work in a Council Maisonette, all the sockets in the hall upstairs were corroded.
The previous tenants had owned a dog.
0B836C44-0DE0-4332-A6F1-28710F0CF168.jpeg It was 6 foot up a wooden channel so unless the dog was lying on its back . . . Or. . . Stranger things have happened!

Reply to Extending ring circuit in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net